Question about changing my sons last name to mine

I am in the process if changing my sons last name to mine. I will see the magistrate in a couple weeks. He father doesn't help with anything and hasn't been in his life. So I feel it is best for my son to have my name. I am nervous about seeing the magistrate. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

blaykesmom09

Asked by blaykesmom09 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not sure he will do it without dad's permission but good luck anyway
    Anonymous

• omg i'm goig through the same thing!!! OMG!!! just tell them that you want your child to grow up with a good reputation adn that you feel it right for the mom and her child to share the same last name. I'm changing my ds's last to my mom's maiden name cuz i thought it a little redundant to change it from the last name of one man who didn't stick around to another man's last name who didn't stick around (my father). I'm very excited about it :)
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You have to have the child's father's permission.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• thats why i gave my son my last name cause i wasnt married to the father and i knew he wasnt gonna play an active role inmy sons life. so good luck.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 5:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My sister didnt have to have the fathers permission to change both of her boy's names... She just explained that the father had no contact with them in over a year.
    Anonymous