Actvities for summer?

I have an 8 yr old, 5 yr old and a 21/2 yr old and will be sitting for one of my sons 8 yr old friends... we have a list of ideas on what to do for the summer but am looking to grow it! What are your thoughts? may take on another kid or 2 part times as well

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 3:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd try and get a membership somewhere on the cheap. Zoo, aquarium, YMCA, someplace w/ a pool. Hit the library alot. Have a hose and slip & slide ready to rock for the warm days
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Swimming, slip and slide, trampoline if you have one, gardening, painting, movie day (popcorn, drinks the whole shabang), maybe check around for free movie days. We have them here with Marquee Theaters and twice a week they have free movies for families during the day (you can sneak in snacks lol).

Answer by gemgem at 3:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• The library children's section has a whole list of free things to do in my area. Check with yours and see what they have. Movie days are great. Local parks are a good idea. Also check out some kids movies from the library.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I see you already have lots of good suggestions from other posts, if your town has its own website it may list some family activities going on around town, the public libraries usually have discounted offers for memberships of local parks, zoos, and aquariums. Craft activits are fun too, finger paints are fun for all ages, working in the yard can be fun if you make a game of it - my children for instance love finding rocks in the yard and we also have a small garden that they help with. You could look at the library for books on rocks, plants, and/or birds and do some exploring in the yard or at the park and see if you and the kids can identify different things from the books. Movies are always good, kids movies and some education ones too (my kids love children documentaries on animals and weather, as well as rocks and plants). Most importantly have fun with whatever you choose to do.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Have picnic lunches at a park so the kids could play on the swing set and have lunch. Find local kids museums for those really hot days. Movies are great. Do messy art activities outside, like finger painting. Grow a vegie/herbal garden and have the kids help maintain it by watering, weeding and picking the vegies. Then find easy recipes that you can make with the newly picked vegies. I live in Northwestern NJ. Within a 10 miles radius I have museums, 3 colleges, many parks, movies. There are several ceramic painting stores for a rainy day where the kids could paint a mug or something cheap. We have gymnastic places that the kids can play on the trampolines and they also have rock climbing walls. Be creative.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Our town's recreation department has tons of stuff during the summer for free; so I would start there. We also take the kids to the lake several times a week because they enjoy that more than anything else.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My thoughts are that you are a better woman than I.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:37 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Zoo, aquarium, library activities.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 3:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2011