Daughter's not doing homework!!!!

My ten year old daughter keeps on not turning in her homework. She doesn't write the assignment down in her book and she just tells me she has already done it. Got an e-mail from her teacher saying she missed 3 homework assignments from last week. This has been going on for about a month or so. She starts doing good enough for me to unground her and then does this again. What else do I do. I have grounded her, took everything away. what is lef?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• We coordinated with the teacher. The teacher had to sign the assignment book after DD wrote down the assignment. I then signed it when she completed the work. I have also threatened to go into class with her to make sure she's actually handing in the work. That alone was cause for her to get everything in.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Instead of going over board punishing bad behavior, try rewarding good behavior - this tends to be more effective.
    Also make her show you the homework she says is done. If she can't then you know she hasn't done it yet.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• The teacher would at least initial that she has her homework assignments written down or I'd take it straight to the principal. I hate lazy teachers. Don't hold back on taking it above the teachers head. She gets paid by your tax dollars.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 3:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Does her class have homework assignments shown online? If not, I'd ask the teacher to email me the homework assignments so I could follow up and make sure she does them.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• "We coordinated with the teacher. The teacher had to sign the assignment book after DD wrote down the assignment" <-- I know a lot of parents that had to do this... seemed to work well. If the teacher won't work with you on this I'd go to the principal too!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• sounds like u need to call and find out the work or she needs to have a workbook that she must write the work in. then the teacher must sign it and then u sign it once u have verified that she did the work.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I tried that, she said it is her responsibilty to write down her assignments

Agreed BUT she isn't ...... I can't believe the teacher wouldn't be a little more helpful in trying to correct the problem.

I would say ground her again but don't unground her until she has a proven track record of doing what she needs to do. Maybe you are giving back too soon?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• huggingSigh. The ten year old and the homework saga.I feel your pain! Just want to give you a big hug. My best advice...is to talk to the teacher and get her advice on it.

kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• it could be also that theres a gorup of kids she wants to impress and by not doing the homework shes being "cool" kids are weird. just have a heart to heart talk to her and try not to get angry or judge.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 4:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I tried that, she said it is her responsibilty to write down her assignments.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011