Concerned about 9 yr old

my son told me the other day that kids in school told him he was crazy and now he thinks something is wrong with himself. he thinks hes not "wired right". this makes me concerned. why would he say that about himself? is this something i should be concerned about or just a peer thing?

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son has told me the same thing- and he's 4! Is your son intelligent for his age, interested in things other children are not, more introverted/extroverted, or simply different in any way? My son was being bullied at his daycare because he is slightly odd- speaks very well for his age, uses words other children don't understand, and has a VERY vivid imagination.

I would simply explain to your son that everyone is different, and although his "friends" may think he's weird (or acts differently) it's actually quite normal. Each person is different, and some are simply a little more different than others.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would be concerned and go see the counselor at his school. This is a form of bullying and maybe these kids need to be spoken to. Your son might need to speak to someone also, you don't want him isolating himself from the world at 9 or any age for that matter. Kids are mean and they just targeted him. Hope this helped.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ive taken my kids to a counselor very recently for issues with their dad and the counselor didnt say anything about concerns with school or social issues at all
    mykidsmom86

Comment by mykidsmom86 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011