Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How do I get the help I need for my son, That the school wont give him or cant?

My son needs one and with the teachers and someting that isnt boring to him. But the school cant help or wont help. He's got Odd and the school dosent want to deal with it. He does great with learning. When he can do the work. Hes not a bad kid just misundersteard.

Answer Question

Asked by Cmeinhart at 3:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Sylvan Learning Center

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • Do you have a formal diagnosis of ODD for him? If so, did you formally petition the school that he be evaluated for special education services (either an IEP or 504 plan)?

    Be aware that Sylvan Learning Center and Huntington Learning Centers are quite expensive and not guaranteed to work. My niece did very well at Sylvan but it did nothing to help her in the classroom.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • Sounds to me like he should have an IEP in place.  You're probably just going to have to continue to persue it with the school.  Be pushy.  Don't take no for an answer.  Call the district if the local school doesn't offer to help.  Call the child psychiatrist at the district.  Do whatever you have to, no one else is going to so you've got to be his advocate.  Goodluck!  It can be frustrating, but don't give up.


    Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • You need to get an IEP in place that will make the school do what is needed to help your child.

    Also, Sylvan is an amazing place to go for help with school. My son's has gone from failing to passing all his classes in just 3 months and the DO have a guarantee that the child will improve by so many grades by the end of the time needed.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • I agree with those recommending that you get on the school about obtaining additional services, including an Individual Educational Plan (IEP).

    A girlfriend of mine has an autistic son, and the school was not doing what needed done for him, so she pulled him and placed him in a school designed to handle special needs children. The difference has been amazing for her.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • Either an IEP or homeschool.

    Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I agree that he needs to have an IEP, I cannot imagine why he doesn't if he is diagnosed with learning or other issues.

    Answer by KTMOM at 11:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • What is IEP ?

    Comment by Cmeinhart (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

  • If he has an official diagnosis, then he should have an iep in place, doesn't matter if the school WANTS to work with him or not.

    Answer by elasmimi at 8:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.