So last night in class...

In my death and dying social work class, we were given a project, we had to look at 8 different scenerios and role play as an ethics committee at a hospital. The group consisted of a doctor, nurse, socialworker, clergyman, and hospital administrator. My group's scenario was an elderly couple, who have been diagnosed with alzhiemer's and terminal cancer respectively have agreed on a suicide pact. Does the hospital intervene?

As my role (hospital administrator) I said we have to intervene, it's a liability to the hospital if we don't so we are legally obligated to commit them to a 72 hour watch because they've mentioned it to medical staff and the medical staff is responsible for keeping patients alive if possible. Keep in mind I do not live in a state that allows doctor aided euthinasia. If I'm not mistaken I think Oregon is the only one right now.

Personally, I think if someone decides this and is determined, they will say the right things to get out of the hospital and do what they want. I also think sometimes people are not serious but it is a cry for help when someone mentions suicide and so you should listen to everyone in crisis. I don't think it's right to end your own life but I also don't have to live anyone else's life so I can't make that decision for them. I know what I would have to do legally as a professional but I'mcurious how you all feel about euthinasia personally. ( I don't know if I've spelled this stuff right so over look it please)

tirelessefforts

Asked by tirelessefforts at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Just for Fun

• They should be allowed to exit this life of their own volition ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think we should have the right to die with dignity.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011