How can you talk your dh into agreeing to homeschool when the school system here is for crap?

so far my kids are being picked on, passed on to the next grade when they shouldn't be, and even being singled out by students and teachers. when i try and talk to the school about the problems going on they don't listen when we talk about "learning problems" they tell me i don't know what i'm talking about and my kids are the problem and it's not the fact the one has a reading problem, one has a learning disablility, and that one was making good grades above grade level for over half the year and suddenly she is failing.

me and dh both have been to the school non stop because of all this crap talking and talking and nothing is changing about anything. i've even talked to him about seeing if we could make a deal with the school about doing a joint thing and i was told that's stupid schools will not do that.

i can't afford to send my kids to a different school system and i can't afford charter schools. but something has got to give.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 3:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• First, let him know, that homeschooling does not take nearly the amount of time that traditional school does. I am a teacher, and I homeschool, and the difference is tremendous. You do not have to re-gain the attention of an entire class every time you turn around or switch activities. You do not have to wait for 25 other kids to finish before you move on to the next assignment. There are not the distractions. My daughter is completing work at least one grade above where she "should" be, and we are only in school about 3 hours a day. That might help him ease his concerns that he would be stuck at home.

When I first brought the idea up to my LP, I figured he would reject it instantly, but he didn't!! He has been really supportive and has seen how much benefit it will have for the kids. Maybe you could do a "trial" between school years during the summer. At worst, you would just be helping your children that long!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Might I suggest a cyber school? It gives you the advantages of homeschooling with the guidance of a real school- it is completely free and you usually receive all the books and such in the mail. Your child might be eligible for an IEP, which you might want to look into as well.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Can you supplement what the school is doing by helping with the reading at home? Can you get tutoring? How can you address the learning disability at home? What is recommended treatment for their specific disabilities?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I was going to suggest supplementing as well.
    Anonymous

• my kids get up at 5:30 and don't get home till after 4:30 when they walk through the doors all we have time for is homework, supper and showers, i do work with them on the weekends. but when you have a 5th grader on a 3rd grade level there is only so much you can do. tutoring don't work it's through the school and all they do is play. dh went last year to every tutoring the kids did. and they played more then anything. the one with the learning disability is slow. she if given the extra time needed she would be able to learn, she can't read at all not even a 1st grade reading level, she only knows her basic addition and subtraction and they have keep passing her to the 3rd grade because "oh we don't hold back in this grade", "i've never heard of a student being held back in our grade, they will work with her in the next".
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my kids get home same time
    as yours
    i make the time to supplement
    even tho it can take 3 hrs
    or more to get one of them
    to get work done.
    you do wat you have to
    Anonymous

• they have IEPs but it don't do any good. they tell us what they are going to do and when we make suggestions or something they pay us no attention what so ever.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• seems to me
    you have your
    mind made up
    already
    Anonymous

• kind of pretty much yeah. when the school system is calling all the shots and telling me i don't know anything and not letting me make any chooses at all in my kids schooling. and even sending home letter telling me by law i have to send my kids to school because she missed 3 days the whole year because she was sick and now i have to deal with the school's case worker because my child was sick. and can have up to 10 days absent without a doctors note. yeah i kind of have a problem with all that. which is the reason i asked for help trying to talk dh into homeschooling.

even he admits there is something wrong with the school but don't want to homeschool because he likes to get out of the house without the kids once in a while.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I can't believe the school is that bad that tehy wont help your kids. I think maybe you could check into tutoring for after school thru a private person. They could do homework with the tutor. I know money may be an issue but homeschooling has cost associated with it as well. I think focusing on reading will solve alot of your problems. Reading is needed for all other subjects. Have they been tested for dyslexia?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011