Tanning and pregnancy?

Just a figurative but I'm sure it happens...

What is the difference of tanning in an indoor bed for 20 minutes and tanning for 2-3 hours at a pool watching your other kids?

Other than raise the risk of skin cancer, what does a tanning bed to to a fetus that authentic sun does not? OR, is there really a difference?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Tanning beds and a long exposure to sun can increase the mother's body temperature, which increases the temperature of the amniotic fluid, which can cause harm to the fetus.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My doctor told me not to tan either way, sun or tanning bed.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• tanning in any manner is damaging.
    Anonymous

• I didn't go to a tanning bed while I was pregnant, but I did sit out in the sun for a few hours a week.  The OB was fine with it and I felt better having some color.  And of course my kid is fine.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• There is a difference. And one huge one is most mom's at the pool watching other kids are slathered in sunscreen. The bulbs in a tanning bed are more harmful than the sun too.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Hmm...not sure, because I don't tan at all, so I've never really thought about it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My doctor okayed tanning in a bed for no more than 10 minutes. He also okayed tanning in the sun, so long as I stay cool. We live in an area where its cloudy most of the year so we dont get much vitamin d.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 3:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have always heard that it isn't the tanning bed that hurts the fetus, it is getting too hot. i am getting ready to go to FL for a week and I look like casper and I don't want to burn while I am there. So I did put my legs in the tanning bed today. I was scared to put my belly but did put my legs!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 9:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i don't think there is anything wrong with getting some natural sun, but I would not tan in a bed while pregnant.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2011