How can I help my 18m be a little more independant?

I'm a stay at home mom and I cant stand to here my boy cry so I spend all my time playing on the ground with him, talking to him, sharring my food with him, I dont hold him a lot but I set him next to me on the couch and such, and I love it. But I've noticed recently that he wont play with his toys unless I am playing with him and that if I'm doing something like washing dishes he just stands there and screams, I know I'm heading into the terrible twos but I feel so horrible because I didnt realize sooner how completely attached I was making him... what can I do?

thesouthernmom

Asked by thesouthernmom at 3:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Part time nursery school would help. 2 - 3 days a week. It may be hard in the beginning but he'd be better off. I've seen kids entering kindergarten that have never been away from mom and the school has a hard time with these kids.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son is 18 months old. He is a pretty independent kid. We play together but he's okay with playing alone. That being said, I am not an attachment parent, which is sounds like you are. Do what your gut tells you, maybe if youre doing dishes put a pot and a spoon on the floor so he can play too. It will get better.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 3:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I will put a bowl of cereal on the ground and turn on the radio, she will distract herself eating and carrying the bowl around, then spilling and picking up
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• your all he has, make him the priority.
    if your doing dishes, set him up with something to play with, in the same room.
    Anonymous

• Get him involved with what you are doing. Like having him help load the dryer, letting him dry mop while you vacuum, using a dust cloth while you dust, anything along these lines. Also maybe give him some pots and pans plus wooden spoons to stir with so he mimics what you are doing. Anything that is "grown up stuff" like mom and dad. These things might help some and give him new ways to interact and eventually play on his own. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I also am not trying to belittle your parenting. Different kids have different needs.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 3:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My son is 18 months old, and he usually follows me room to room where ever I go, as long as he can see Mama he's fine. Lately, I've been trying to get him to play in his room by himself for a few minutes at a time. He's the one that normally leads me in there, and I explain to him that mommy is going to be in the other room. So far he hasn't stayed in there more than 2-3 minutes by himself, but I figure it's a start, right? IMO it's a process, take it little-by-little.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Get him a puppy?
    Mrs.Bryant1201

Answer by Mrs.Bryant1201 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011