1st year of marriage

Before me and DH got married everyone told me that the first year of marriage was always the hardest, and that if you could get through the first year things would usually get better afterwards and like all these other horror stories about how hard the first year are and all the fighting and arguments and yadda, yadda that took place in that first year...
Me and Dh will celebrate one year June 17th (the day after our baby is due lol) and this first year has been fine...I mean of course we've gotten into arguments (who goes a whole year without getting into an argument with their spouse lol) but it hasnt been anywhere NEAR the hell everyone told me to expect....
How was your first year of marriage?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• we're in our 7th year right now.
    year 1 was rough.... but not really because of "us" . Our son was born 10/30 and our wedding anniversary was 12/11. I did not come home from hospital until 12/04 and so hubby spent all that time alone w/ a newborn, sleep deprived, rarely allowed to visit me (in the ICU, not newborn friendly) and when I did come home I had a home health nurse 2x a day so not much privacy..... we figure if we survived that messy first year we'll survive anything
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• The first marriage was HELL which continued until our divorce a few years later. Second marriage has been fine now for 15 years because I was very clear from the start what I expected and what I wouldn't tolerate.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We've been together almost 15 yrs & married for 13 yrs. We have been thru a lot of ups & downs & we are currently in a bit of a "down" time right now- hence my request for advice on how to get past hurt feelings. I know we went thru some adjustments during that 1st year & continue to adjust to things as they come. Once your baby comes, expect to go thru some adjustments again. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Rough. In fact, I almost left my DH after 8 months. I had everything I owned packed and sitting by the front door to load into the car. He came home, took one look, burst into tears and began apologizing for everything he'd been doing that brought me to that point.

Since then, it's been great. He DID change his attitude. Guess my packed bags served as a wake up call. I wasn't going to stick around and be his door mat and figurative punching bag.

We've been married an additional 5 years, and they've been fantastic, overall. We still argue, but the first year was very trying.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my first year was awesome and every year after that as well. Never ever heard that about the first year. lol heard that about the seventh year.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Me and my husband celebrated our first year of marriage on february 19th 2011 we had some bumpy roads we got into a big argument and we were gonna get a divorce but we worked things out and were still together our first year of marriage could been a little bit better but I know we have more years to come to make things better :-)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Our first year was easy, but we hardly ever argue even now. Having been raised in the same area with parents that have similar morals, values, and traditions we agree on most issues.

Answer by missanc at 4:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Our first year of marriage was AWESOME!! It really was. We traveled (went to India, went to Japan), we had a good time together, we lived and experienced life together. We had never lived and experienced life together (we married after 5 months of meeting one another). We loved our first few years of marriage. Those years were all about us, living life together, experiencing life, and getting to know one another/ourselves ( in the realm of being "us" and marriage).

(( we did not have our only child until we had been married nearly 6 years))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Ha! I don't really remember! I do remember there being an adjustment period when we moved in and started paying bills together. There is just a lot of things you need to agree on in terms of money and routines...sometimes it is easy and smooth, which it was for us, for the most part. I think that if there were huge differences in they ways you two were used to doing things before you got married, that it would have been harder.

I say just count your blessings and enjoy the happiness!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My husband and I are nearing our third anniversary and I must say there has never been a moment when I even wanted to leave him. I can only remember three big fights in those years, and none of those fights lasted over night. I am not saying we don't get irritated, but we really don't fight. We had a great first year. He has been out to sea for a decent amount of that time, so maybe that's part of it, lol. I think a lot of the reason we don't fight is because we've known each other for a very long time, we were raised very much the same, and we came into the marriage with a common understanding of what we found acceptable and not. I know there will be rough spots, but so far so good!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011