do you think it is ok to let a two year old.....

Play with toys guns and point them at peoples heads ?? I have seen this happen and I wanted to know if other people think it is wrong?....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I think it's wrong. Neither of my children will play with so much as a water pistol. This decision is based on research, research, research. Just my educated opinion.
    nhoneal

Answer by nhoneal at 12:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Personally I try not to let my children near toy guns and knives as such, but some of their little figures have them and I don't mind that too much, but I think it's a little too far to have a two year old with a toy gun, but my 5 year olds have cowboy costumes with guns attached to them so I guess I don't think it's awful.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 1:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• yes.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 1:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• no, we teach our son gun safety and never to point a gun at someone, playing or not.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have 3 boys and they all had toy guns, and swords and even watched the power rangers and what not. They are teens now and none of them have actually shot anyone, stabbed anyone, and they dont think they are power rangers. I think its really fine. Boys have been playing cops and robbers for years. They are more aggressive by nature anyway. My dad also taught all my kids (boys & girls) how to shoot and also gun safety. I see nothing wrong with any of it. They have to learn about the world sometime.

Answer by gemgem at 1:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My husband is a hunter so at some point my 3yo son will hunt...we have let him have plastic guns in the past but he knows only to shoot animals not people and he doesnt aim at people....
    babymommy85

Answer by babymommy85 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• lol..i just reread the question..yes i think it's wrong..
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 1:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have no problem with toy guns. Many studies have shown that they do not lead to violent children. Violent lifes, TV, and movies lead to violent children. Not simple toys.

Is it wrong for a 2-year-old to aim a toy gun at someone? Yes. Just as it's wrong for them to demand something NOW, throw a fit when they don't get their way, throw a toy at you when mad. It is up to the parents to teach that pointing a weapon, even a toy one, at someone is wrong, just as we have to teach other manners and safety issues. Will my child have toy guns? Probably. There's a rubber band gun I've been eyeing for when she's older as well as the marshmellow burp guns and water guns.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• How can a T.V teach our children to kill people and yet handing them a toy gun to pretend to kill people not?
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• i still do not let my son do so and he is now 9 - in this day and age you don't want anything escalating with him thinking it is ok - people are extremely sensitive to this type of behavior - the days of cowboys and indians are over

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 3:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2008