Why is being induced so common these days?

Just curious-- I was induced w/ my first two because the doctor suggested it would be the best way to go & set up the date.. I really was "clueless" & thought it was normal since he was telling me to do it.

After reading things about people feeling so strongly about NOT being induced, Im wondering why its so common?

I am very pregnant again.. & today my doctor set up an induction date(39 weeks--due to medical reasons this time) but Im just curious why its so common even if unnecessary?

mohme2three

Asked by mohme2three at 4:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• convenience. doctors schedules, moms going back to work or dads needing to know when to take off work. jobs/employment is at a premium and those lucky enough to have work want to keep them and "inconvenience" employers as much as possible.

and doctors are overworked and trying to micro manage and control labor
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Mine were all health related (hypertension and diabetes).
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 4:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• unless it is nesesary by health issues, doctors just do it if asked or just because it an be faster or get more money if it ends up in csection.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 5:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Convenience.

This adds unnecessary risks to mother & baby, so obviously health-safety aren't the priority.

Remember that everything is optional and YOU make the decisions. The doctor is making a recommendation but it doesn't mean you must go along.
    Especially if it means adding risks.

I wouldn't do it~

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think a lot of people do it because they think the baby is going to be "too big", or that they will never go into labor, within the time frame they think is right. I have learned that babies come when they are ready most of the time. I know there are reasons where it is necessary, but most often I think people do it without a very strong reason.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2011