Preschool/daycare

For those of you have 3yo in daycare/preschool what type of things are they teaching the children there?

Curious b/c my 3yo stays right at home with me. I teach her many things but I want to make sure she is on the same page as other chlidren.

My daughter knows her town, state, country, continent.... all 9 planets.... all 4 seasons.... counts to 20 (I'm sure she can go higher but she dosent do it).... of course knows all her alphabet.... knows all colors.... left & right.... learning how to write her name (this one is going slow though)

She knows other stuff but those are the things we've been covering so far. We are now working on the months of the year then we will go to days in a week etc from there. We have a map up & she can show you a few states on it without help. So what are the types of things your kids get taughter in preschool?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow! Sounds like you have a lot covered. My daughter recently turned 4 and is in preschool. We're going to homeschool starting in the fall. She likes preschool, but I don't think she's learning that much academically, mainly building social skills, which we can do in other ways. What about fine motor skills, like using scissors? I know that's been a challenge for some of the kids in my daughter's class. I guess I would recommend to keep working on things like that and writing her name. Mainly I think this age is all about discovery - kind of the foundation for more in depth learning later on. We do a lot of learning through playing, reading books, and just taking the kids out to have different experiences
    gratefulmom913

Answer by gratefulmom913 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Thanks! She does use scissors already not perfectly but she can cut with them! Gets better every time she uses them! She goes to playgroup once a week, has regular playdates with other kids & adults, we are always hitting the museums, festivals, concerts, etc. I try to do as you said take her out for different experiences as often as I possibly can. I read somewhere that kids learn by discovery so I stick to that. I incorporate the things she learns into our every day so I dont sit her down for a class or anything. Like with the months while we are driving we will repeat them (I say the month she says it back to me until she will eventually know all 12 she knows about half of the names so far). Glad to see that she is on track!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Wow! Now I feel like my almost three year old is WAY behind.... She goes to daycare at my friend's house and I know she tries to do things with the kids but they have been acting up too much lately. Cabin fever I guess....
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 5:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My DD is in pre school. They have a different theme every week. She has learned about hygiene, the solar system, plants, animals, ocean life, holiday celebrations, kings and queens, community, etc. They focus on the alphabet, counting, and handwriting on a daily basis too. I really love the program for she is learning a lot, and has made tons of friends. I reinforce everything at home of course, mainly focusing on numbers and letters myself.

It sounds like what you are doing is GREAT!!!!!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011