Anyone had a Positive AFP screen?

The doctor called this week with the news that my AFP screen came back 'positive' for downs...I have an appointment with a perinatologist on Monday to do a level 2 sono. From what I have read online this test seems to be prone to major flaws. Has anyone else had one and had it be wrong? Thanks!

Our2miracles

Asked by Our2miracles at 1:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yep my best friend did. They sent her to have another ultrasound and said they couldnt conclude if her baby was down or not. In the end she decided to keep the baby even though the ppl at the hosp seemed to want her to abort. She has her baby in Aug and she wasnt down at all. You cant really go off those tests.
    Anonymous

• Thank you! We would not abort either which is why we will not do an amnio...
    Our2miracles

Answer by Our2miracles at 1:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There is a high false positive rate for these tests, & dr.s are wrong all the time. My friend's mom was warned that he was going to be profoundly retarded... not only is he not "special" he is very talented/ artistic. And handsome and intelligent HAHA
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I had it with my son, and he's happy and normal. These tests are very prone to false positives.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I had false positives with my girls. I haven't allowed them since. My girls are fine, no issues. I didn't do the level 2 or the amnio. No way I'd abort anyway.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I just wanted to thank everyone for your answers! We went to the peri appointment yesterday and we have anpther PERFECTLY HEALTHY baby girl on the way! We are so excited! Thank you all for your help again!
    Our2miracles

Answer by Our2miracles at 7:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2008