Did you eat/drink during labor? and what were your circumstances?

with baby #1 I went in for an induction and was told empty belly upon arrival. I planned on a semi-natural vag birth so I said screw that! And ate a muffin and a milk and a few mini snickers bars. .. after I was checked in my hubby got me a fruit punch and a banana to nibble the the nurse flipped out and said ice chips only. I lost my temper and said to her that I was only 1cm dilated and could be looking at 12-24 hours of labor and no way I was going into a marathon starving. Eventually I asked to switch nurses and had a "don't ask/don't tell" policy and hubby was encouraged to hide things when dr came in. It ended, sadly, in an emergency c-section and we were honest w/ the anesthesiologist and he said that's fine, no big deal.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I had water and gummy bears. That's all they said I could have, oh and jello
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ice chips only for me.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Both of mine were inductions. With my first, I pretty much didn't eat. In two days, I only got a package of crackers and some apple juice. That sucked!! With my second, they turned the Pitocin off after the first 15 hours and told me I could have whatever I wanted. I had a double sourdough cheeseburger, some chili, fries, a club sandwich, and a strawberry cheesecake milkshake. My husband had gotten a bunch of stuff for both of us, but I was so hungry I ate it all, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I was induced with both of my boys, and both times we had pizza delivered to the hospital :-) I also snacked on honey sticks and apple slices. I delivered them both vaginally with no drugs.
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I was admitted at 5pm for an induction. I ate a snickers bar at 3am.  I decided on a c-sect shortly after.  That was done at 7am.  I was fine and the baby was fine.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Honestly I had nothing to eat before they gave me the drugs in the IV. After that my mom and kids were bringing me stuff and I was eatting. I had a natural delivery so I guess this was not an issue. I am sorry that you were in that circumstance, but I am happy that you and your new baby are healthy. Congratulations.....Hugs
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 4:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I didn't feel like eating during labor

Answer by admckenzie at 4:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• The no eating/drinking policy is so out dated. you only need to have an empty stomach if you go under general anesthesia. And you only go under (when it comes to having babies) when something is such an emergency that they can't afford to wait for an epidural or spinal block to kick in. They need you out then and there. And if it's that big of an emergency they aren't going to not do it just because you ate a muffin or had some punch!

I hate when hospitals have rules that don't make sense.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• With both of my previous pregnancies, I was induced due to toxemia. My first labor was 50 hours long...yes...over 2 days. They wanted me on fluids only, but overnight they let me have something little since I wasn't progressing quickly at ALL. However, I walked out the same weight I walked in even after giving birth because they were pumping me full of so many fluids. IV fluids, plus anything I wanted to eat for 2 days was fluid! I was so full of water it was awful!

My second went a lot faster (7 hours), but it was strictly fluids too. That hospital had around the clock room service for mothers, and gave me a full menu of my choices! Sodas, jello, coffees and teas, ice chips, popsicles, different broths, etc. And the ladies in the kitchen did not make you feel crazy at all when you were ordering "in quantity". I would say "I want 3 broths" and they would respond with "Ok...want some sodas or popsicles too?" LOL!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• for my first child i did not eat, because i was sooo excited. all the rest i ate as i normally would. the last pregnancy i did throw up my lunch before my baby arrived.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011