Do you feel guilty taking time for yourself?

pedicure manicure, massage?

stella73

Asked by stella73 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• Nope. My kids are grown and on their own, why shouldn't I??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Nope.

I learned and accepted many years ago. That if I do not take care of me, if I am not healthy (mentally, emotionally and physically) then I can not take care of those I love to the best of my ability.. I can only be the best wife/mom I can be, if I'm the best "me" I can be.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Nope, because I have to have some time that is just for "me". I am a better parent when I have some down time.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i never do those things but i feel guilty if i read or buy myself something. my mom yells at me because i am always getting for the kids you know they grow fast but i went without buying new clothes for myself for 5 years yeah i know a long time i finally splurged then i felt guilty. but i did need new pants etc especially with losing some of my weight
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, unfortunately. I wish I could go out with friends and not feel like a bad mom. I know I'm actually a better mom (less crabby) when I have some time for myself, but I still have guilt.
    gratefulmom913

Answer by gratefulmom913 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• WildCat73

I'll share an epiphany that I had many years ago when my son was growing up and I would feel that quilt you are describing.

One day I realized this:  I buy for, do for my family because their needs/wants are important to me...  Then I realized and accepted this:  My needs/wants are JUST as important as theirs are.  That helped to alleviate some of that quilt. I realized that no one else will be considerate of my needs/wants if I myself wasn't even considerate of them.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't feel guilty. I am a SAHM and I am with my kids all the time. I do lots of things with them and take them many places. Even when they were little I would take time for myself. I think it makes you a better parent if you take time for yourself. I know for me being with my kids all time, while it is wonderful, can be stressful at times.

My mother always told me to take time for myself and it was one of the best pieces of advice she has ever given me. I usually leave my kids with my DH although sometimes with a babysitter. I figure if they are with my DH then they are happy and even if he doesn't do things the same why I would I know they are being taken care of.

I guess for me it is an important part of not losing myself because I have chosen to stay home.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yeah sometimes I do.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Hell NO, no reason to!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No.  Why would I?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011