Gall bladder surgery?

Has any one had  it?  How long are you lay up? Out of work?

I just found out from my doctor that my gall bladder is bad.

Asked by louise2 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• I had mine pulled in 2006. It was actually supposed to be day surgery but i got a VERY rare infection and stayed awhile. If they do it via scope (which I assume they will) you'll have some teeny punctures, 1 of which is in your belly button. sore/bruised but generally a quick recovery
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My sister had it done. They made a small incision and took it out. She wasn't laid up long and I don't remember her complaining about much pain. I know she was thrilled her gallbladder pain was gone.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I had my gb out when I was 25. I think I was out of work for about 1 week, not 100% sure. It's usually done laparoscopically and on an outpatient basis. Recovery is not too bad--sore abdomen for a while and have to watch what you eat at first.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I had it done years ago, when it was major abdominal surgery. I guess I was probably out of work for 6 weeks. The good thing is, like childbirth, the memory fades......Other co-workers have been back to work in about 10 days-2 weeks, with the laparascopic procedure.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I had it done a few years ago and the recovery was very short.... only a day or two.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My sister-in-law had gallstones and had to have her gallbladder removed as well. I believe she just needed extra help for a few days. If you're in better shape you'll prob have a faster recovery I imagine.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 7:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011