How do I make sure my toddler is getting enough nutrition?

My 3-yr-old son is SUCH a picky eater. It's gotten to the point where we can't include crackers with a sandwich because he'll only eat the crackers! It's like that with everything. He picks the unhealthiest piece of food with the least amount of nutrition on his plate and eats only that...then wants dessert! Um no! Then the fits! Ugh!

We tried the Pediasure drinks and he hates them because they don't taste like REAL chocolate milk. The problem started at the babysitter's house. She buys sugary juices, gives him snacks and junk food all the time. I talked to her about it and she stopped, but the damage is already done. Now that is all he wants. Veggies? Forget about it. He pukes if we tell him he has to at least try something. He will eat fruits, but not if there is another option on the plate. He throws a fit if his snack is fruit and cheese instead of crackers, chips and fruit snacks.

He is 27 lbs at 3 yr's old and the doctor said it's okay...he's just a little guy. But sometimes he has discoloration under his eyes and I start thinking the worst...is it from malnutrition? Dr says everything is fine though. He does eat a good amount and he has LOTS of energy, but he'll only eat specific foods. I have started shopping for the things he likes, but the healthiest versions of those foods. He takes vitamins daily. Any advice on how to "sneak" in some nutrition would be SO appreciated?

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They like to do this to parents just to make us nuts, I think. I've been giving my 3 year old a daily vitamin because she just isn't getting everything she needs in her diet right now. We're working on it, but sometimes there's just no telling. There's a lot of crafty ways to work fruits and vegetables into a meal, look up some recipes that look fun and "similar" to what you know he looks. Normally with a little ingenuity you can get them back on track. Once when my 3 year old was in a very bad picky eating stage, I just stopped giving her the option to be picky. I made breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and snacks) and sat her down at the table with it. It's hard at first. There will be whining and begging for their favorites and refusal to eat, but stick to your guns and they soon understand that this is lunch or dinner and they'll eat. Good luck and take a deep breath. It won't last forever!
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 12:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• when your kids dr. DONT tell you your kid is Failure to thrive
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My kids are like this and nothing pleases them but if they are going to adjust it's a free world with food, and they know this. so what is best is up to them, it's not going to make them change even when i've offered every type of choice. It's frustrating as it gets just like when you think that it's helping them.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011