Does anyone who was on antidepressants during pregnancy have a child you now feel has psyc. problems?

My daughter had twin boys 6 years ago while on wellbutrin. They were born with some learning disabilities which received attention early on. Now the boys seem to have emotional outbursts in school which has caused problems in kindergarten. Could any of this be due to wellbutrin?

granmarie

Asked by granmarie at 5:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• I was on diazapam, prozac and abilify throughout my pregnancy with my daughter...I have bipolar disorder...and she doesnt seem to have any issues now...I'm really sorry about your grandbabies...I don't know much about wellbutrin but it seems like something you should talk to a doctor about....Good luck with everything mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think its more a genetic trait of mental illness.. there are always a risk or side effects that could happen when on antidepressants but at this point, blaming or pointing the finger to that will only cause guilt she clearly doesn't need or shouldn't have to deal with - Doctors say not being on an antidepressant if you need it while pregnant could be worse for your child that any side effects from a medication - we have mental illness very thick in my gene's and sad to say - My son is only 3 and showing signs of many - I was on celexa during pregnancy though to answer your initial question..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Were the boys full term? If they were born early there would be a much higher risk for learning and behavior problems that might not be caused by the meds. There could also be a genetic predisposition that could be passed to the boys; my daughter had ADHD, and her doctor was fairly certain she inherited that from her father who exhibited signs of mental health problems. I think there could be a link to the wellbutrin, but there are definitely other possibilities to consider. Like Max's mom pointed out, the boys may have been better off with your daughter taking the wellbutrin and looking to blame the drug could result in your daughter feeling guilt. I think if she does look into having the boys evaluated she definitely needs to share the fact that she took the wellbutrin with their doctor, but she doesn't need to focus on it too much.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2011