Any nurses out there

i am thinking about going back to school for nursing. just curious how do you like your job, how long did you go to school & if you are comfortable answering how much do you make??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have a BSN- I went to 4 years at the University (right out of HS), and have been working as a nurse for 32 years. At this point, I work on call and make about $65/hr- I am in CA. Maybe by the time you are finished with your education, places will be hiring again, but right now, just like with most industries, no one is hiring. I might suggest a tech job of some sort (pharm, ultrasound,radiology, PT)..less education and less pay, but sometimes less pay= more opportunity (in these economic times).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'm an LVN. I went to school for a year, very intensive program, 9-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. LVNs tend to work in long-term care, home health and hospice nursing. We don't make major bucks though, $18 an hour as the average where I live. As the previous poster stated, it's not a great market right now and if you want to work in a hospital setting, it would be better for you to go for an RN or BSN, as they are more skilled and therefore more hireable. LVNs also have limitations on what we can do--no IV push medications, we can't hang blood, etc. I do love my job though, hospice nursing is very rewarding and suited to my personal skill set.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2011