Why is it that some in office can get away with immoral behavior and others can't?

Bill Maher gave viewers a list of New Rules tonight on Real Time, as he is wont to do. As Maher is also wont to do, one item on the list in particular targeted a prominent Republican – this time likely 2012 presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich. And, like everyone who has said anything in the past week, Maher found a way to work Charlie Sheen into it, too.

Here was Maher’s “rule”:

If Charlie Sheen’s home life means he can’t have a TV show, then I say Newt Gingrich can’t run for president.

(Maher was pretty pleased with himself for this one, judging by his laughter at the line.) He them lampooned Gingrich’s well-publicized marital woes and affairs, and even opined, “I don’t think actual newts are this slimy.”

He also drew a parallel between Gingrich and John Edwards – while both of them, Maher said, cheated on their wives while they had cancer, only Edwards “couldn’t get elected dog catcher.” He did the same for several other Democrat-Republican examples, most of which included the Democrat losing his job and the Republican staying in office (yes, Maher included the obligatory CNN joke when referencing Eliot Spitzer).

Ultimately, though, behind all the partisan cracks was a premise we can hopefully all get behind: “You can’t have the personal ethics of a guy who fixes dog fights and run on values.” Then, he made another Charlie Sheen joke. Video, via HBO, below.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-newt-gingrich-charlie-sheen/

Why is Edwards a disgusting pig for cheating on his wife who had cancer but Newt can run for president on a family values platform? Why are some who are caught in immoral sexual situations run out of office asap and others forgiven or at least allowed to keep office or in Newt's case run for president?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 5:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because people are hypocrites, Friday! lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think both are vile for cheating but that is a personal issue between them and their spouse. Edwards may have committed crimes trying to cover up his affair and the child resulting from the affair. I think that made it worse didn't hurt his wife had cancer.

Plenty of Dems get a free pass pretty sure if McCain in his 40s had killed a woman while driving drunk he never would have been a Senator. Ted Kennedy did that very thing and is praised as a great man. Both sides have people who have been excused for doing bad deeds. Not right but it isn't fair to say only Repubs get a free pass. Look at Mark Sanford and other Repubs who have stepped down the past couple years they did it quickly too. Clinton was given a free pass by Dems. I never had an issue with his affair I am sure Hillary knew he was a dog. I had issue with him lying in a sworn deposition but he kept his job and is considered a hero to some.
    Anonymous

• Well, I have a few disputes with the list he gave. If memory serves me (and at my age soon to be a great grandma) it may not, but I do believe there have been a number of reps ran out of office by their own party as opposed to dems.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• all the personal attacks? I see one.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Why are some who are caught in immoral sexual situations run out of office asap and others forgiven or at least allowed to keep office or in Newt's case run for president?

Because the American people decide what they will tolerate with their votes. Newt can run, who says he is going to win? Also John Edwards quit the Senate-he was not run out of office. If you are saying only Republicans get away with bad behavior in office, then I invite you to google Bill Clinton and learn a bit about his history.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• cbk, who has Maher cheated on? when did he profess to be part of "The Moral Majority"?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Bill Maher is a walking waste of oxygen! The reason why some can get away with it and others can't comes down to their politics. The liberals can (and do) get away with murder. You let one Conservative utter ONE little tiny peep of any sort of inpropriety,and the msm is all over them like ugly on an ape! Before Maher starts doling out judgement, he needs to take a good long look in his mirror. Course, if all I had looking back at me was that huge schnoze of his, I'd not want to look, either.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Not right but it isn't fair to say only Repubs get a free pass.

I never said they did, neither did Maher. When I was watching his show Friday I thought that was the gist but he mentioned those on both sides who have been nailed and others who have gotten away with it. I just thought it was an interesting point how some get away with indiscretions and others don't.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Liberals get away with murder? Like John Edwards or Bill Clinton? If you bothered to watch the video in the link you would see there were a variety.

What's with all the personal attacks on Maher? Maybe you are just jealous.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• But that's the point Carpy, it's not about party. Some, on both sides are able to get away with murder and others, on both sides become pariahs. What determines their ability to weather such storms?

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011