Tell me how weird this is...

So, I made a post on Craigslist for babysitting.
I can watch a child Monday-Friday...just to earn a little money. Okay, great.

Some guy contacts me, saying he'll be coming close to where I am and needings someone to watch his daughter, who is 2, for 3-5 daily Monday-Friday. Willing to pay me $450 a week. This will last for 4 weeks.
I was kinda sketchy, but today, I received a check...3800 dollars. 1800 for the babysitting cost, and the rest is to buy her clothes and toys.

He ask for a copy of the deposit slip, which is kinda a red flag for me. So, I'm going to mark out my Acct number, and balance....then send it to him.

Think this is okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• DO NOT DEPOSIT THE CHECK.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Okay why?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That is not ok!! Sounds like a scam. No way would he pay that much.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Okay to clarify... it's a scam, the check will bounce and you'll be out the money plus fees.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• $2000 for clothes and toys? Sounds like a scam to me!
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 5:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• OH I would definitely not do this. That is insane on so many different levels. He trusts a complete stranger with his daughter without even meeting you? He sends you the funds before meeting you? He wants your deposit slip? Stay away from this one. Or just on the off chance that this isn't a total scam...let him know you only accept cash. No in-home daycares accept checks anyway. Most are cash businesses, so it's a reasonable request.
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It sounds "funny" I think maybe you should call your bank asap. As for the guy tell him, no you won't give him a deposit slip, but you will give him a receipt. But don't be surprised if he flips out and starts screaming for his money back...(make sure the check went through and there are no problems) I hope that's not the case and that this is just a great job for you...you may want to check him out yourself also....maybe a background check or at least call his local PD to make sure there are no warrants and such. Good Luck hun.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Absolutely sounds like a scam, and I wouldn't even bother depositing the check. There is no valid reason for him to see a copy of your deposit slip, he could just check his own account to see if the check had been cashed. The whole thing sounds beyond fishy, including him being willing to pay $450 a week for 3 days... I pay $200 a week for full time, and that's pretty high compared to the national average.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• He has never met you and is willing to leave his daughter with you? RED FLAG SCAM Don't do it. Take the check to the bank its written on and see what happens.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Agree with NO NOT DEPOSIT THE CHECK. Scam. Really surprises me how many people fall for this.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011