High Risk Pregnancy-Prenantal Appointments-peeing in a cup

ok so my first pregnacy i had to pee in a cup every visit, but this one they only had me do it the very first visit?? i find this weird, this pregnancy is high risk and i lost a twin early on, i have hypertyriodism so i thought that because of that they should be checking for proteins in the urine? right?? i have the same Dr i had before too....im just SO confused?? should i switch Dotors to one that takes my pregnacy more seriously???

Sarahg83619

Asked by Sarahg83619 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ask your doctor why you haven't had as many tests this time around.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• They will do that just to try and get a good baseline of where all your levels started. I was at risk for preeclampsia so they made me do it too.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• First thing you should do is ask your doc these questions. Dont be afraid to ask docs questions, if they respond rudely, seem bothered by questions or dont give you good answers then yes switch. When we were admitted to the hosp with our 8day old the very first thing they said was ask your doc anything & everything. They encouraged it & pushed it on us. So I suggest you always always always always ask docs questions period. The doc should encourage it, take the time to give you the answers needed & not rush you through any of it. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When I was pregnant, I peed in a cup the first time and every time, no high risk or anything. I thought it was just standard.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• in all my 3 pregnancies they asked for a urine sample every time i visited; its important that they check each time for protein and other things. i would ask for sure to find out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It was a standard thing for the office to do a urine check every single visit. Ask why it isn't being done. It really should be.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 5:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ok i have an appoitment coming up ill bug the Dr about it then, i still find it so weird he did it with my first i wonder why he stopped and im getting pretty far along too (im 24 weeks now)
    Sarahg83619

Comment by Sarahg83619 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That does seem a little strange to me. I've had two pregnancies that were considered high risk and one that only lasted a few weeks. :(

I was asked to give a urine sample at every appoinment. I saw an OBGYN for the first 2 pregnancies and a midwife for the 3rd. Both asked for urine so it does seem strange to me that they aren't. Ask the doc
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes they should definitely be checking for protein in your urine every visit. Are you seeing a high risk and a regular OB cause maybe they think your other doctor is following it.
    tgh46737

Answer by tgh46737 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Can you speak to your doc about your concerns or do you not feel comfortable?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2011