Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it true about swiffer?

My MIL was telling me today that the swiffer wet jet has been linked to dying pets. She read that if a pet were to come in contact by licking the floor they could be poisoned. I never heard this though. Is this true? My cat doesnt lick the floor let alone his own body lol but should I worry?

Answer Question
 
Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pets

Level 21 (11,543 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I believe it is because the floor is not rinsed and the solution is full strength. They walk on it and later lick their paws
    butterflyblue19

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • No, I think it is just an urban legend. I use this swiffer wetjet all the time and have all sorts of pet that are all alive and thriving. I think it is a rumor. Febreeze had similar claims years ago.
    spottedpony

    Answer by spottedpony at 5:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • I have heard it but read on Snopes that it isn't true. That said, the chemicals in their wet solution are pretty gross. You wouldn't want it on your hands. Although they claim their pads don't leave residue, that's extremely debatable.

    There are extremely effective ways to clean your floor with natural ingredients or just water that are NO RISK.
    Nonoluna

    Answer by Nonoluna at 5:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • No, I think it is just an urban legend. I use this swiffer wetjet all the time and have all sorts of pet that are all alive and thriving. I think it is a rumor. Febreeze had similar claims years ago.


    Youre prob right. My cat has been around it for years and is also fine! I know pets can be sensitive but youd think it would harm us too if there was actually a true risk!
    Steph319

    Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • There are plenty of natural cleansers out there that are safe and that clean your floor WAY better (not to mention cheaper).

    Most things in households these days are toxic in some form or another. Being responsible and keeping children away from anything that would have a dangerous residue or fumes is vital. Also make sure all cleansers and other toxins are far out of childrens reach.

    You should only worry if you're allowing your child or pet to play on the wet floor and/or lick their hands or paws afterward. If you're not, he's probably fine.
    Razelda

    Answer by Razelda at 5:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • It's not true.
    Acid

    Answer by Acid at 6:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • check snopes
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • i heard they were bad to have around children not sure if its true so i would think so with dogs but not really sure but dont want to find out
    his88angel

    Answer by his88angel at 6:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • i heard that a small dog could die if it ate/ chewed the package of wipes. it is just as easy to get a spray bottle and fill it with vinegar water, put paper towels on your swiffer mop, spray the floor and wipe...non-toxic that way!
    happy2bmom25

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • look it up on snopes.com
    alinker

    Answer by alinker at 12:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.