An earlier question got me thinking, how many of you have been victims to a scam?

or pretty close to it.

the closest ive come is last year when DH and i were looking for homes for rent. we found one in the area we wanted, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, backyard, pretty decent looking home with utilities included for $800/month. in my area that's great for a 3/2 house. i found it on craigslist, then went over to look at it with DH. there was no for rent sign out front, but we figured sometimes people don't put one. the guy told me he moved to africa or something and was trying to rent out the house, but everything would be done over the phone. and before i could look inside the house, i needed to send him money so he could send me the keys. automatically red flags went up, but we drove by the home and parked in the street out front of it. we were about to get out and look at the house inside the windows, and a car pulled in & told us they lived there! EMBARASSING! they said they had gotten a lot of it that week though & were in the process of reporting it to the police. i never would have sent money to some unknown source, but i was really bummed it wasn't a real rental!

tell us your story!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Wow I am way too cautious to be scamed. I did see an ad exactly that on craigslist for Boston. It was for a condo in a very wealthy area for $700 it had 3 bed 3 bath and they even had pictures. Well, I know it was a scam and told them I am interested and wanted to see the house and they told me the same thing about sending money and they will send the key because they went to africa for work for I think 10yrs or some junk. After we exchanged emails I said well everything sounds great and since I work for the FBI I would be close to the office... after I sent that email I never heard back lol.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I ordered a weight loss product from an infomercial. After they get your info & the transaction is done, they transfer you to another offer. this offer said I just had to pay $242 for a free trip to Orlando Florida. It is a timeshare place but they don't tell you that. They give you a website to go to and everything seems legit but if you try to cancel it, they won't let you.
    It sounded too good to be true but I was sold by the fancy stuff that they promise.

I didn't realize that it was a scam until I checked it out on the internet.
    I'm never buying another infomercial again!
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• People have a lot of nerve!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I came across a similar issue with housing on craigslist! But I emailed before going to the house, and once I got the reply about finding oil in AFrica and not being able to come back I just reported the listing and kept it moving! My mom has had her account hacked by some kind of diet pill or some mess scam! And My laptop was hacked and I still dont know what the money went to but BOA got it put back instantly! It was some weird email accounts set up that were paid for, who in todays world pays for an email account?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My brother and SIL almost fell for a scam like that- I think the 'couple' that owned it said they were going on a mission for a year or two and needed to rent out there home. It was total BS. Luckily they didn't fall for it, but they said they almost did.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2011