Trying to prevent voter fraud, or trying to limit Democratic votes?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110308/ts_yblog_theticket/ahead-of-the-2012-campaign-states-debate-voting-rights

If some GOP lawmakers get their way, it could be a whole lot tougher for people across the country to cast a ballot in the upcoming 2012 presidential election.

Boosted by major electoral gains in state legislatures nationwide in the 2010 campaign, Republican lawmakers in 32 states are pushing measures that would require citizens to show a state identification or proof of citizenship to vote.  Meanwhile, in New Hampshire, GOP lawmakers are proposing new limits on college students who vote in the state, potentially eliminating a key base of electoral support for Democrats in the state ahead of the upcoming presidential election.

As the Washington Post's Peter Wallsten writes, the measures have set off a partisan battle over voting rights across the country, with Democrats accusing Republicans of trying to suppress voters, including young people and minorities, who would cast their ballots for President Obama and other Democratic candidates next year.

In New Hampshire, Republicans are pushing to end rules that allow same-day voter registration in the state, which has often provided key swing votes for candidates from all parties in the state. State GOP lawmakers are also proposing new limits on students, including a bill that would allow them to vote in college towns only if they or their parents had established permanent residency in the state.

Some GOP lawmakers in New Hampshire have billed the measures as an attempt to crack down on voter fraud in the state--but recent remarks from the newly elected GOP state House speaker have suggested otherwise.

In a recent speech to a tea party group in the state, House Speaker William O'Brien described college voters as "foolish." "Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he said, in remarks that were videotaped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students, he said, lack "life experience" and "just vote their feelings."

GOP lawmakers in the state have distanced themselves from O'Brien's remarks.

cont. in link

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 6:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Let me see if I have this straight....some of you are whining about possibly making college kids vote by absentee ballot...yet none of you are bitching about our military having to do it when deployed. How many of you are raising the same level of whine for the ballots that were never counted because they lacked the signature of a notary...when no notary is available at many FOB;s. Were you beating the doors down because many military ballots were INTENTIONALLY mailed out too late for them to be returned?

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Here in KY we have to show photo ID and sign in the book beside our printed name we are given a ballot to vote. I think that is GREAT! They match your name, you can only vote if your name is in the book (well, I'm guessing at that since we are registered voters and always have been) and you CAN ONLY VOTE ONCE.

What is the problem with that? I don't see it as limiting "democratic votes", I see it as preventing VOTER FRAUD. I don't see a problem with having to prove citizenship either. You do have to be a citizen to vote. I don't see a problem with keeping track of college students votes, especially if they are from out of state.

There were reports of students or volunteers renting houses in OH and voting and also casting an absentee ballot for their home state. That is flat out WRONG.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• measures that would require citizens to show a state identification or proof of citizenship to vote.

Well, at least dead people wouldn't be able to cast a vote. Someone, who had read the obit about my FIL who died last March tried to vote using his name this past Nov. The pole worker had known my FIL and wouldn't allow the young African-American man to vote under that name and address. My FIL was white and 86 yo when he died. If an ID was required, it may cut down on that type of shunanagans. (Don't misquote me. I'm not saying 'only' African-American do this type of things. This guy did this and it was too obvious he thought no one would know or care.)

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• This has nothing to do with voter fraud, and everything to do with making it more difficult, or impossible for voters who traditionally tend to vote Democrat to make it to the polls...

So you're saying people that tend to vote for democrats don't have IDs or aren't legal citizens or both? What is wrong with having to show an ID and prove you are a citizen? I would think EVERYONE would be behind that.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Wow...yeah i am just ging to have to go with PP's on this one. showing ID in my state (AL) is anything from a drivers license to a water bill to an EBT card! If you are too damn lazy to find an ID to go vote maybe your lazy butt doesnt NEED to be voting!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Wow check out that dead horse. IN already has the strictest voter ID law, it's already upheld from challenge. There is nothing wrong with it. More to the point, no matter how much HuffPo, KOS, ACORN, Jackson, Sharpton and anyone else digs, they cannot find any evidence anywhere that it has kept anyone from voting in the years it's been in place. Face it, the law works and it isn't disenfranchising anyone - you are legally required to have identification whether you vote or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Don't you already have to have proof of citizenship? I have always had to show my ID when voting. Also....students CAN vote absentee from their state of resiendence. This shouldn't stop that. I am a Democrat and I don't really see the issue. You WANT citizens to be the only ones voting.
    Anonymous

• On the IDs I show my ID to buy a bottle of wine, buy cold medicine, even spray paint. I don't see showing it to vote a big deal.

Along with voter ID laws they have to provide them for free if you say you can't afford one, plus make them easy for people to be able to get.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Republican lawmakers in 32 states are pushing measures that would require citizens to show a state identification or proof of citizenship to vote.

***
    I see NOTHING wrong with having to prove your identity before being able to vote!! Why do Democrats ALWAYS pull the "poor, elderly, minority" card?! The elderly I've known over the years are MORE THAN HAPPY to show proof of their citizenship!! I'll bet these poor and minorities you refer to have NO PROBLEM showing ID to buy liquor, cigarettes, or when applying for and picking up their government checks!!

If you have nothing to hide, you should have nothing to fear!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Those students should mail in their ballot to the state they live in. Also ID should be required when registering and when voting. I see no issues unless your saying Democrats are less likely to have ID maybe Dems could find a way to remedy that.
    Anonymous