Jury Duty

DH and his cousin have never gone to jury duty nor have they been arrested or given warrents. When they get the form they throw it out. How do they get away with that?? When I missed last year I got a call from the state police. I did turn the form in but forgot about the date..lol. Is it that easy to get out of? Just throw it away??? TIA!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I've been called to jury duty once, but it coincided with my due date, so I just called the number on the letter and told them that I was going to be having a baby about that time. The lady told that was ok, that I needed to stay home and take care of myself and my baby.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I got summoned once when my son (now 7 1/2) was a baby. I replied back saying if y'all would provide childcare for me I'd be happy to serve. I got a letter back saying I was excused.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I've been called twice. Once we had just moved from MN to PA and I was called for jury duty in MN. I phoned the courthouse and told them I no longer lived in MN.

Once here in KY. I was an alternate on one jury and sat on another. I thought it was pretty interesting. It was a civil trial. That was about 17 years ago.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Wait why would they put an arrest warrant out?
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• In NJ if you do not show up for juryduty you can get arrested
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't know why they wouldn't have warrants against them when they took your late response so seriously. I have only been called for Jury Duty three times. The first time I had to show up because my work paid for Jury Duty and I didn't have kids to worry about. The last two times I was able to fill out an exemption because I am a SAHM. Child care would cost WAY more than the small stipend they pay daily for jury duty.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I've been on one jury and I loved it.
    To answer your question though, Same reason warrants for bad checks or not paying tolls are seldom completed. It's not a high priority like a hurtful crime, murder, burglary or assault etc.
    Cities and counties are already cash strapped and they have priorities. That's why every now and then you hear of amnesty being offered or reductions in fines for these things. They get a lot of people coming in to clear up these tickets and warrants because they think a big sting is coming if they don't.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 9, 2011