Why is it that some in office can get away with immoral behavior and others can't? Retry

I am not saying any party is better than or gets away with more but am curious why some can continue their career in office after indescretions while others can't.

Why was Ted Kennedy able to stay in office after his scandal and re-elected numerous times? Why is Clinton still so popular after his drama?

Why is Edwards a disgusting pig for cheating on his wife who had cancer but Newt can run for president on a family values platform?

Why are some who are caught in immoral sexual situations run out of office asap and others forgiven or at least allowed to keep office or in Newt's case run for president?

Is the passage of time a factor? Personal charisma? Positive political record or actions?

I don't understand and have re-posted to filter the bias. I am sincerely curious what y'all think makes or breaks one in these situations.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 6:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the biggest reason Edwards was blackballed was because he covered it up, lied about it and continued to lie even after he was caught.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think the good looking, charasmatic ones can get away with more. They're too hard to resist =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I honestly don't know why. I would say what Rosehawk said but Clinton lied in a deposition about his affair and lied to the American people when asked. John Edwards was likeable so I am not sure why he was demonized when Kennedy was given a free pass after killing someone. Clearly what Kennedy did was worse.  Might depend on what the morality trend of the time was. 

Anonymous

I can understand that but Newt wasn't caught till later, if I remember correctly. He was having an affair while pursuing Clinton's impeachment and now wants to run on a values platform.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't think it is really any of our business. Men and women alike, cheat. Makes no difference if it is a housewife, an iron worker, or a politician. As long as they do their job, it is none of our business and the media has more important things to focus on. As do we. If we are going to demand they suddenly have some morals and values, then there are plenty of places in their lives to look besides the bedroom.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Honestly- I think a lot of it has to do with luck and timing (and relationship with the media)
    Heaven help the one that messes up during a slow news period-
    I remember one "personality"- can not remember which one- said something like, the only thing that will get Tiger Woods out of this mess is a huge natural disaster to take the spotlight off of him- so true, so sad-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You're going to have to poll "likely voters" as the reasons are as varied as the day is long! Bottom line is, everyone has their own moral compass, some acts are considered perfectly fine by some, and not by others.

I personally do not support or give "second chances" to those who intentionally hurt/take advantage of others in the course of their title/position, and/or fabricate lies for their personal gain as someone worthy of seeking or continuing to hold what SHOULD be a moral high ground! This goes for priests, teachers, law enforcement, politicians, etc.!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I can understand that but Newt wasn't caught till later, if I remember correctly. He was having an affair while pursuing Clinton's impeachment and now wants to run on a values platform.

eww- don't like Newt, don't like Clinton- two sides of the same coin if you ask me- I do think its a big mistake for Newt to run on a Values Platform- the media will eat him up- if you have questionable values, its probably best to run on something else-like experience or job creation or something-he is just asking for a shit fight-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You're going to have to poll "likely voters" as the reasons are as varied as the day is long!

Wel, most of the ladies active here are likely voters so I thought they might have some insight.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Very true soyousay, we have short attention spans and many in the public forget the last big thing when a new one comes up.

I also agree about Newt, regardless of his affairs or hypocrisy I wouldn't support him. Takes some big brass ones to try and run as a moral candidate with that history.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011