Fleece blanket full of static.. return to store?

I bought a fleece blanket at target last month and I took it out last night for the first time to use and it is FULL of static, real loud static. If you move it you can hear all the static noises for a good couple of minutes. As I was folding it to put it away because we couldnt use it I got shocked a couple times and some of it was big pop shocks. This afternoon I went to open it up to see if its better and its not... Im thinking of returning it.. should I? is this normal? why is it doing that ?

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Fleece holds static - wash it and put downy in the wash and use a bounce sheet in the dryer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would wash it with fabric softner and that should take care if the static.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It is normal because most fleece is made of polyester, which for some reason gets electrically charged really easily. My sons coat has a poly fleece lining in the hood so whenever he wears it, his hair is a fright. And, strange as it sounds, washing &drying your naturals (cotton, etc.) with synthetics (poly, rayon, fleece, etc) CAUSES static from the dryer.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I shock everyone when I'm wearing fleece or wrapped in a fleece blanket!  Yeah, those big loud popping type shocks.  I thought it was me :)  Using a static-reducing dryer sheet might help.  If you're not happy with the blanket though, you should just take it back.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Wash it with vinegar, that works as well as fabric softener.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 7:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I agree with the PP who said vinegar. It's just as good as any commercial fabric softener and is a lot less expensive.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 7:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Sorry Anonymous..yes seriously.. I have never had that issue with any blanket I have owned and I have never had anything in fleece..
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Seriously? It's a new blanket, it's winter. Wash it and use fabric softener. Anything fleece does that in low humidity, and a lot of things, period, do that in winter.
    Anonymous