Whatever happened to good old fashioned bullying?

Whatever happened to good old fashioned bullying, the type that happened when I was in school(I am 39 now, so I graduated 22 years ago. Now you hear about all of these cyber-bullying, and people that are so bullied that they kill themselves.

Kids are mean, they always are. But when I was in school, bullying consisted of being pushed in the hallways, being called names, not being picked to be on teams, etc. I know that there was some more serious bullying that happened on occasion-we had a kid who was small for his age in our class and the football guys would stick him in garbage cans upside down or throw him up on the roof of the school(that was pretty dangerous), but for the most part it was just harmless stuff that could affect your self-esteem a little bit, but that was it.

Not sure there is even really a questions here, but what happened to that type of bullying? It was hard to deal with, yeah, but it was not so bad that anybody(that I know of) killed themselves over it. My son is 14 and so far he has not paid attention much to peer pressure, etc, but it worries me that he could be bullied when he gets older as he is "different" (he has ASD, legally blind, small for his age, immature - to name a few.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think ANY type of bullying is acceptable.  What I am trying to say is WHY has everything gotten so bad with people hating each other and being so mean and violent.  WHY do parents NOT teach their child the correct way to act towards others?  The school here does not allow any bullying on school grounds or on the school buses, which I am all for.  There are some places that don't. 

Tawneekitn

Asked by Tawneekitn at 6:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think sometimes adults get too involved with the kids- and escalate the issue even more-

As far as today-I think the technology plays a huge role-the written word is so much more powerful than the spoken word and technology allows that pile on effect that just escalates things-

Did you see the Dateline show on bullying-great advice there- for too long we have told kids to run to adults first-they were talking about empowering kids to take on the bully and stand up when appropriate- such a great approach-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Schools have a no tolerance policies for that type of bullying. And this is as it should be. Being pushed in hallways, tossed on roofs, put in trashcans....that's assault. Name calling - slander. And a bad example of being a good person.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Bullying has always had the same effect 50 years ago or now,. There is no such thing as harmless bullying!

Answer by older at 6:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No bullying is good now or then. Technology has made it easier to bully out of site of authoritative figures.  My daughter was severely bullied in kindergarten that she was in therapy for 2 years.  It is starting younger and it doesn't end after graduating either.  Hell people get bullied on this site everyday. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• This is the strangest question I've read in a while.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Sorry to hear about your son. But I was saying the same thing just Sunday. Back in the days kids still had the opportunity to apologise. Today these kids are taking bullyng to another level. We hear about kids killing their classmate for being different. I am so scared for my son and girls. Lets hope bullying gets better today rather than tomorrow.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think bullying itself hasn't necessarily changed, but the means have. Back in the day, we didn't have facebook, or twitter, or texting. Whatever bullying would occur (and of course, NO bullying is acceptable) happened during school hours, at the school. Now, the communication channels are much broader and more easily accessible. A kid can continue to be bullied at all hours of the day and night, pretty much, and a much larger group of kids can be involved.

Either way, I think the traumatizing effect really hasn't changed much. A zero tolerance policy is as it should be.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011