What do these say to you?

romans 3:23 "all have sinned"

Romans 6:23 "the wages of sin is death."

John 3:3 "unless someone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"
--` why did Jesus come to die?

John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, i am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through me."

Romans 10:9-11 " that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”

2 Corinthians 5:15 "and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again."

Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

fordeeperroots

Asked by fordeeperroots at 6:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It reads exactly as it is printed but doesn't mean much to me aside from bible verses.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When I read them, I read the words written there. However, they do not "say" anything to me as a non-Christian. As a non-Christian, these words are nothing more than words to me . They do not "say" anything or have "meaning" to me like they would a Christian.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Haha, that's a lot for all at once. I'll get back to the "I am the way, truth, light" and ones that go along with it, though...

To me, it says Jesus shows us the Way in which God wants us to live (with love and compassion), the Truth about God's character (that He is love), and a new Life full of meaning, purpose, and love for God and our fellow man. It is through this kind of life and character that we come to know and understand the character and "person" of God. Its not possible, IMO, to come to a true/complete understanding of God if it is not based on love and compassion (regardless of which religion or lack of religion one adheres to), as God Himself *is* love and compassion. Belief used to be about more than opinions, like the way one lived one's life. So believing in Jesus would have been reflected in living like Jesus, in emulating him and thus following said message. I don't take "believe in" literally, though...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• These say to me " Don't drink the Kool-Aid!"

Or "Look how gullible people are!"
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• they say exactly what they say. All are born in sin. Jesus died as payment for our sins. Accepting Jesus and your Lord and Savior and believing that he dies as payment for your sins is the way into God's Kingdom.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think it's safe to say that I probably interpret them differently than some.

When Jesus said, "I am the way," He meant that to have a true relationship with God, you must practice his way. In the Acts of the Apostles, the early Christians always spoke of their faith as "the Way." To me, "I am the way," is a better statement than "I know the way." The way is not an asphalt road. But we must distinguish between the "I" spoken by Jesus and the "I" that people usually think of. The "I" in His statement is life itself, His life, which is the way. If you do not really look at His life, you cannot see the way. If you only satisfy yourself with praising a name, even the name of Jesus, it is not practicing the life of Jesus. We must practice living deeply, loving and acting with charity if we wish to truly honor Jesus.~Thich Nhat Hanh

I agree with this. ^

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Christian vs. Non-Christian: Who Gets Into Heaven?

I also think this video ^^ makes an excellent point, even if I'm no longer Christian and don't believe in a literal Heaven or Hell. I believe that living a loving, compassionate life was the basis of most of Jesus' teachings, and I accept many of his teachings as valid and worth studying and practicing in our lives. I just don't believe in personal gods or all the supernatural aspects of the doctrine.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Im not a Christian anymore so they dont exactly mean anything to me like they used to.

However, basically it boils down to those who wrote the Bible wanted others to believe you can only get to heaven through Christ and that we are all born sinful.

I dont believe in "sin" but I do think we are all born imperfect because we are humans and as we go through life we do stupid things from time to time. The whole point is to recognize it, do better and go on. Live and learn.

If Christ is your idea of salvation...cool. If you feel your spiritual growth and happiness lies elsewhere...cool.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Are you attempting to witness? If soo... good turn offs .
    Try something different! :-)

( I am a Christian and if I wasnt and saw those scriptures I'd be so turned off)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• “Beware the man of one book.”

St. Thomas Aquinas
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011