Why do some think taking birth control is the same as having an abortion?

I have a medical background... and I see a distinct difference. Hormonal birth control (the Pill, the patch, Nuvaring, Norplant, Implanon, etc.) do not prevent implantation or causes spontanious abortion, they prevent a woman from producing and releasing eggs. Therefore, no egg is there for the sperm to fertilize.
Abortion is removing an embryo or fetus that is already alive and thriving in the uterus. During an abortion...they are actually terminating a life.
So why do some people think this is the same thing?? I don't get it!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that because the pill or other forms of birth control arent always 100%. I know I had a friend who got pregnant while on the pill and then miscarried. The doctor told her it was likely because she was on the pill that she miscarried. Therefore if she hadnt been on the pill she might not have miscarried. She had a real living baby inside her that died. I also got pregnant on the pill, but was more fortunate and had my son. He was fine and healthy but was told the same thing by my doctor that here was a risk of miscarriage because I continued to take the pill after being pregnant/but before knowing I was (hope that makes sense).
    So religiously speaking I can see where someone is on the pill and has a miscarriage and blames the birth control on their miscarriage in essence seeing it as some sort of abortion.

Answer by gemgem at 1:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My mom believes this bs and here's why: they believe it is interfering with God's intentions....UGH!! Whatever!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I dont think its interfering with Gods plans. My son is proof of that. I was on the pill religiously, took it at the same time everyday etc etc. I got pregnant anyway. It doesnt matter if youre on the pill or not if youre meant to have a child you will because I believe God is powerful enough to make it happen. I also think people who dont have children its the same thing, part of Gods plan. My friend was on the pill since she was 13, and now she cant have children. I tell her all the time maybe that just wasnt part of Gods plan for her. Maybe she is meant to adopt or do something else.

Answer by gemgem at 1:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I share the "ugh" sentiment, Babylove. I am a Christian woman, and I do believe God is sovereign... but I also believe that He wants us to exercise self control if we know better! I've had 3 very difficult pregnancies, the first resulting in a miscarriage. My son and I both would have died in childbirth 50 years ago because their were no ultrasounds (to detect my placent previa). So I take BC because I can't just pop out babies left and right... it would literally kill me.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Right on gemgem!.... and what about those women who've had their tubes tied and they GROW BACK TOGETHER!?? lol ! I wouldn't need a booming voice from Heaven to get that message loud and clear!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• People actually think this? Wow - from what century are they?

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I know that there are some forms of birth control that do cause you to miscarry.  the IUD. My doc went over them with me, cause I of course wanted to be sure that's not what I was on. The IUD  prevents the fertilized egg from attaching itself to the wall of the womb. So to me that would be aborting.    As far as bringing God into it all..Genesis 1:28; 9:1, Told us to fill the eath,yes but

The Scriptures neither encourage couples to have children nor tell them to refrain. Married couples may decide for themselves whether to have children or not and, if they do plan for children, how many they will have and when they will have them.   

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• CONT....The scriptures do tell us to be responsible,1 Timothy 5:8. Providing for one’s family involves more than just putting food on the table and paying the bills, this is a big job in itself.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• CONT...Responsible couples, in planning the size of their families, take into consideration the mother’s physical well-being as well as her emotional, mental, and spiritual welfare. Taking care of a child occupies a lot of time, and when baby follows baby after baby, mothers often sacrifice not only their rest, recreation, personal development, and involvement in Christian activities but also their physical and spiritual health.

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• CONT....

So you should be wise in your decisions. I am not saying that I disagree with having a large family, I have 4 kids and I come from a large family as well. I would love to have one more, But in today's world, I know that I can't. This world is too demanding plus too expensive. So for our family, not a good idea.But as for others, that's their decision..

bizima4