Are babies scared of the dark?

sweetiepiemom

Asked by sweetiepiemom at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would not think so if they cam out from a dark space
    Anonymous

• I would say no also. they come from teh dark (womb) so in the beginning we kept everything dim. I thhink babies learn fear through the parents. The calmer you are in certain situations teh better they will act and react.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• They can be. But it is a developed fear, fear of the unknown, being in an unfamiliar place. That's why some parents suggest using a night light in your babies room when you transfer them from sleeping in your room to sleeping in theirs.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Um, well, both of my DD's were/are. I personally think its a hereditary thing. I'm 26 and I still won't sleep without a nightlight. The thought never crossed my mind that they might be, until they proved otherwise. So, I would say, yes, they can be afraid.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 3:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I dont think so, as long as you start them sleeping in a dark room.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• my daughter is 9 months and sleeps in the pitch black. I think it helps her sleep because when she wakes up she probably thinks she should still be sleeping lol but whatever, she sleeps great all night, the daytime not so great cuz of the sunlight.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I used to have a night light in my child's room, but then some random person told me that her first two children had night lights, and now don't particularly like the dark, and her third did not have a nightlight, and they aren't phased by light and sleep better. So I just shut off the night light and my 4 month now sleeps longer in the pitch dark (making it a little more tricky to reposition her blanket at night!!! It did have an adverse affect on her naps though - as she now only wants to sleep when it is extremely dark (she'll only take 20-30 minute cat naps), but will sleep from 7pm to 7am every day, so it may be a trade off.
    Anonymous