How can asparagus be steamed quickly?

I would like to start adding fresh steamed asparagus to my family meals but i have no clue how long to cook them. Any ideas?? thanks :)

oliveoyl214

Asked by oliveoyl214 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Food & Drink

• i put mine in a steamer for 40 min. I do it as I am starting to cook dinner and they are done when dinner is ready.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 1:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I use a pan and put a bit of water at the bottom but not enough to come close to covering the veggy. Then I put the lid on it let it come to a boil, then let it simmer about 10 minutes.

Answer by gemgem at 1:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We microwave our veggies. A little water in the dish and like 10 minutes they are done...probably less for asparagus, it doesn't take long to cook at all. A steamer would be cool to have, though.
    Oh, and that's from a frozen state. We buy all our veggies frozen.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• i don't steam mine - i put in in a pan with grade seed oil, and cook for about 5 or 10 mintues until tender - rotating often - best way to perserve all the nutrients and taste
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 2:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I steam fresh asparagus for 20 minutes.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• just fyi, asparagus takes longer, not less time than many veggies because of the layers in the stalk. Also the smaller the stalks, the sweeter(not bitter0 the veggie, therefore kids like it more. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009