Problems making friends..

anyone else have problems making friends? in high school i had so many friends, all in different "groups" i guess you would call it. it felt like i had no problem talking to people and just being myself. then i got married and moved 19 hours away from everyone and since I have been here i have no friends. i just don't feel comfortable with people anymore and i always feel out of place and awkward. i think a big part is i gained a lot of weight and my confidence has went down. still sometimes i do try to ask someone to hang out it feels like there always making excuses or saying sure ill let u know but never letting me know. not sure what to do

armywife71208

Asked by armywife71208 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• I have this problem also but it do not bother me one bit. I rather not have phoney friends sorrounding me and my family and believe me I had a few. Life is different when you move to a different state rather than your home town. I was (am) the popular girl all over NY. But here in the South I am treated like an outcast. When I get on campus the other student try not to speak to me but I am so aggressive they find it hard to believe I am so bold to speak to them. I dress nice always have my hair done and look like a teen they hate me for being so pretty and self assured. Keep your head high and do not worry about the next person.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• its tough to make new friends in a new place. you get so used to the old friends, you kinda get out of practice..i know. i'm the newbie in town, and its been a slow process. i got involved in a women's bible study at the church we attend..completely for the social aspect. honestly, i hate studying anything, and i hate homework..but i continue to go to this group because i need the contact with other people. sad, eh?
    oh yeah..i quit work to move to where my dh's job was..so i'm really out of it, as i was so used to talking all day to a lot of people (salon).
    you could join a gym, or find a local group of hobby enthusiasts (if there's anything you do crafty). try taking daily walks in the local park..you're bound to meet at least some walking-people..and lose some pounds while you're at it. you could be a community volunteer, the library, hospital..whatever gets you out of the house and into the habit of meeting new people.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• yep, I have had the same problem since we moved here 5 and a half years ago. I have made many aquaintances , but no real "friends'. I hate it so much. I had some great friends where we lived prior to moving here and I miss them so much. If I had known it was going to turn out this way I would have told my husband no way to the move. I wish I had some advice for you.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I just don't like females. PEROID
    Mrs.Bryant1201

Answer by Mrs.Bryant1201 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i guess this is more common than i thought...i just moved to a new state and .im having the same issue with not being able to make friends, granted i dont get out of the house much but, even at social outings for my hubbys job i met 2 women who were cool but not really the "type" id associate myself with really , they came over our house with their kids and their husbands and i cooked and entertained but it never went anywhere , like we didnt stay in touch . I know they felt intimidated by me , which is the issue i have with many females, they dont find me approachable because of how i look and dress , i was told by a woman before that women feel threatened by me, which i think is crazy because im very down to earth if they only took the time to know me kwim? Its not like im some conceited bitch who walks with her nose up in the air! I just wish it was easier to make friends who werent so judgemental.
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2011