What is the 1st mistake you made as a new mom?

What was your first mistake? Did it make you laugh or cry?

My son is 10 wks old, 2 weeks adjusted. He gets breast milk fortified w/ formula and then mixed w/ equal amount of prepared formula. I realized last week that the wrong scoop was in the formula container and his prepared formula was double to triple strength for about 3 days. I had noticed that he was taking less of each bottle and eating more often in addition to being extra gassy and a little constipated. This made me laugh at myself as I was a little embarrassed. Needless to say he gained weight really well last week.

ElenaC419

Asked by ElenaC419 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• when my son was 1m old i was changing his diaper and he peed on my face the second i opened the diaper, with him in his little basinett where id been changing him i ran to the bathroom to was my face off and brush my teeth, i didnt realize i had left the diaper rash cream open and next to him... when i came back i had a baby that was NOT going to get diper rash ANYWHERE on his little body, i didnt realize a 1m old could work so fast and i freaked out and called poison control because he had it in his mouth. when they laughed at me i calmed down a little. it took me over 2hrs to get all the paste off him... ears, face, legs, chest, neck... everywhere!
    I still laugh at myself for that one... and the pics when i see them.
    thesouthernmom

Answer by thesouthernmom at 7:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I was taking my daughter into her room to get changed. She was only about two weeks. Well I didnt judge the door way and her head hit the trim when I walked into the room!! I felt horrible but it wasnt that hard and she was fine. LOL I felt like a dumbass!! haha
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When my son was about 2 weeks old he was sleepy on my chest.... being exhausted I fell asleep too and woke up to him rolling off me onto the ground...luckily I was on the futon so it was only about a foot off the ground and he wasn't hurt. (he didn't even wake up lol) but I felt horrible!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• First the first week after every feeding I would forget to burp dd. Then one night all of it came back up and I was so shocked that much came out of her that I thought something was wrong. So I went to the Dr and they didn't seem anything wrong with her. They told me to give her pedialyte if she still isn't holding down her formula. On the drove home I realized I hadn't burped her the while time she had been home after I delivered her. I felt like a dummy and a bit embarrassed.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When my oldest was 3 weeks old, I left him on the couch and went into the kitchen. Next thing I heard was a thump and him scream. My baby had rolled off and hit the floor. I had no clue that you weren't supposed to leave a baby on a high surface without a guard. I cried all day long and kept telling myself that I was an awful mother to let her newborn fall.
    k_hall1784

Answer by k_hall1784 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ughhh i get teary eyed every time i think of this my dd was about 2 or 3 weeks old and i put her in her lil carrier while i was taking a bath. i got out of the tub got dressed picked the carrier up to leave the bath room and she fell out right on her head,i had forgotten to buckle her in.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My oldest DD was really confused on her nights and days when she was born so, if you could imagine how tired I was. She woke up in the night so, I fed her and went to change her diaper. I wasn't thinking to hurry up and close the diaper and she projectile pooped all over me. My hair my face, my clothes, the couch, you get the idea. I got her and myself cleaned up and never did I EVER do a slow diaper changing again, lol!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My first mistake was getting the Mirena IUD. It had been highly recommended for breast feeding mothers by my OB/GYN (never having one of those again, unless it's an emergency) and every thing I read online, but about 2 weeks after it was inserted, I lost my milk. It wasn't until I had a bunch of other side effects months later and searched for those that I figured out that the Mirena caused it.

Apart from that... Not knowing that DD could roll over when she was about 6 weeks old. I had her on the couch, on her Boppy pillow, and DH was a few feet away in the kitchen while I was folding laundry at the other end of the house. I swear I knew she was falling before she fell because I heard her hit the floor and I was picking her up before she even started crying. She was fine, she only fell about 10 inches and landed on a blanket, but OMG that scared the crap out of me. After she calmed down, I cried lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• MY son peeing in the air.... That was amazing, and happened once! LMAO
    Mrs.Bryant1201

Answer by Mrs.Bryant1201 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Not allowing my DH to do more with the 1st baby. I thought I had to do it all & I was quickly exhausted. I had to learn that just because his way was different that it didn't make it wrong because it was not my way. Let the Daddy help, it is good for baby, Daddy & Mommy! =]
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 12:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011