How do I prepare my son for outpatient surgery?

My son has outpatient surgery next week. Im kind of freaking out about him having to be put under. If your child has had general anesthesia how did you prepare them? Can you describe to me what happened? I have a call in the the child life specialist at the hospital he will be going to but Id love any advice offered here.

Thank you!

IHeartDraven

Asked by IHeartDraven at 7:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I don't know how old your son is but mine was about 6 when he had out patient surgery. The doctor talked to him when the problem was diagnosed and then I talked to him the day before and described to him that he would go to sleep for awhile, that I would be there when he woke up, what the doctor was doing to help him, etc. I stayed with him until the anesthesia started to kick in. I didn't talk to him any sooner than the day before so he didn't have much time to think about things and get nervous. He did well. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My son was put under once at nine months and once at two and a half...he was too young either time to explain it to him...we just took him in
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i never had to yet, but i am sure i will, depending on the age just reassure him that he will be ok, and u will be there when he gets up. What kind of surgery is it for. I know when i had my tonsils done i was 10, my mom held my hand till i fell asleep and was there when i got up. Plus i had my friends visit me and got to eat all the ice cream and Popsicle i wanted.
    So if he is having tonsils out do what my mom did for, and have his friends visit him after, to cheer him up, plus tell him when he wakes up and is ready for the nurse to give him ice cream, and Popsicle tell him he can eat all of it he wants
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Thanks ladies
    my son is 3 :) I am definately planning a talk with him the night before.
    IHeartDraven

Comment by IHeartDraven (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011