If you are renting a house and did not like the floor in the kitchen would you change it?

I changed the floors in the previous house that I was renting. The landlord contacted me yesterday and told me he is taking me to court for changing the floors. I kept my receipt and contacted my lawyer today he told me do not worry. I paid over 2 grand for the floor and improved the home. What do you think?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 7:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• that's what sucks about a rental, you'll often find that property managers and owners won't let you do what you'd like, regardless of the added value. and what you consider an improvement might make a place harder to rent.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You aren't supposed to make permanent changes to a rental unless you have made arrangements with the landlord.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• In most leases it says no permanent changes without express permission so it's whatever is in the lease. You may have picked out a pattern the landlord didn't like. It's his/her property and the decision should have been discussed.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would have asked. I am not the owner of the property.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• no I would not. and if I did I would have asked permision first
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would have probably asked before you did that, did you read over your contract? Does it say anything about it? Good luck!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 7:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My understanding is that you aren't supposed to do upgrades (even if they are an improvement) on a rental without the express permission of the landlord. My brother and sil have done upgrades but their landlord approved it and paid them back. Had you asked for the floor to be replaced and the landlord didn't do it? That would definitely be in your favour. Good luck! Landlords (even former ones) can be very difficult.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• First, I wouldn't waste my money on a house I didn't own. I am renting a house now and it is clearly stated in my lease that I can not make any changes to the house. I can't even paint without permission. Look over your lease and see if it says anything, if it does you're probably s.o.l. , if it doesn't then I don't know.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Did you live there for 1 year? Thats crazy to put that kind of money in a house you didn't own. Yes, regardless of making it an improvement, you should have got permission. He has every right to sue you.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely have asked first, but the fact that you improved the home value will probably help you out in court.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011