My sons weight

my son is in 1st grade and he has gained 15 pounds since december he is 120 pounds and I am beside myself

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• gosh have you had his thyroid checked?  I would take him to the doctor

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That's a lot. Definitely get him in to see the doctor to find out if there is a medical cause for this weight gain.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• What is he eating? Is he getting 30 min of exercise daily?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't even weigh that much.... O.o
    Mrs.Bryant1201

Answer by Mrs.Bryant1201 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'd head to the Dr for a check up and to discuss your concern.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• how about having him particitate in a sport. buy skates, bike, keep him busy. But yes have him checked out by his doctor. What are you feeding him? reconsider fried foods abd bake or broil from now on.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 12:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I do not ever buy pop or chips or candy, he does play outside all the time, for breakfast he has cereal(usually at school), and lunch at school and after school an apple, then supper( tonight it was veg lasgana--he didn't eat) supper is usually like spaghetti, or hotdish and I never give him seconds.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• try not so much pasta dish's, they tend to have a lot of carbs in them.. try going to " thesneakychef.com" .... worked for me
    jennna

Answer by jennna at 1:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• see that description of a typical day doesn't fit with his current weight at all. Get him to the doc. My cousin was getting a lot of harassment over her DD being 4 and being so overweight. Everyone blamed her. My mom does daycare and watched her for awhile and noticed that the child ate like a bird. My mom asked her if the doc had tested the child's thyroid and she said no, that they said it wasn't possible for her to have that issue. My mom told her to push for the test. My mom was right her thyroid was so under active, the numbers very low. Sometimes you have to push for answers.  Keep a food diary on him and take it with to the doc.  Make them run tests.  If they don't find anything then they may send you to a nutritionist.  good luck!

BTW school lunches are generally unhealthy, help him pack a lunch.  Cook w/ him at night.  It'll get him to try new things, if he makes it.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would find out what he eats at school. So what happened since the holidays that made him blowup? He needs to go to a doctor.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2011