Live in house-keeper or maid...

Hubby and I will be buying a new house soon and moving. (Super excited about it!) And we wanted to get a house-keeper to come a few days a week and clean and such. Then we started thinking about a possible live-in house-keeper/maid. Room will be provided, food will be supplied, no bills, etc... What's the going rate for a live-in? I'll be doing the cooking and some cleaning and some laundry, but the house keeper will be picking up my slack. Dishwasher, folding clothes, cleaning bathrooms, dusting, sweeping, moping. It wont be WAY over the top, considering i've been doing it myself for so long.

Just trying to get some figures in my head on how much this will be. Do we pay weekly? Hourly? Daily?

Help...

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would say weekly. can't say how much, research the going rate in your area.
    Anonymous

• It will vary greatly depending on where you live and what exactly the duties are you want performed, but a friend of mine has a live in maid and they pay her 19K/year plus room and board. But my friend doesn't do any of the housekeeping, she does all the care for her kids and the cooking.

Answer by missanc at 8:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It really depends on the area you live in. And you can pay any way you mutually agree upon. You can get some ideas of the going hourly rates in your area at care.com. Use the pulldown and you can see what people charge/pay. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I didn't know people did that...I would think u would have to pay her a livable salary...sounds exciting!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• cool. you are so lucky.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would research the rate in your area and be very careful having a stranger move into your home. Personally, I would prefer someone coming in and cleaning a few times a week.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011