Isn't Lent a Catholic holiday?

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, but it's not really a holiday. It's a time to give up something, to reflect on your faith. For some Catholics it's a time of fasting. No food from sunup to sundown...atleast people my grandma's age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, and many other Christian denominations
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It is Catholic but some people from other religions decide to do it anyway. Like my grandmother. She's protestant but she still follows lent and they just give something up instead of doing the meatless days and stuff.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Its a Christian thing, not just Catholic. We participate in it in my Methodist church, too. Usually have a big service on Ashe Wednesday to start it out.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No. It is a Christian holiday, but is celebrated differently by each faith. The modern day practice of getting ashes on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday and giving something up is Catholic.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I am pretty sure back in the 70's Catholics were mostly who celebrated Lent but, times have changed and different religions celebrate it too:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It isn't a holiday. It is a period of observance.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Lent is a season of the year in the Christian faith.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We are Anglican and we celebrate Lent with ashes on Ash Wed,meatless meals except Sundays,and give up something for the 40 days.We have Lenten services on Wed evenings with supper after.The donations we receive go to our local food pantry.We have celebrated Lent ever since I can remember (and that is a very long time).
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No. Many Christian denominations practice it as well, in some way, shape, or form. It's always been that way, many just don't recognize it for what it is. It is the 40 days leading up to Easter, and many Christians observe it as a time of meditation to prepare for Easter.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011