Advise for a disrespectful 5 year old

My 5 year old is very defiant he wont listen to me at all. I tell him to go play he goes in living room to watch TV, I punish him he laughs, I ask him a question he ignores me, I tell him to do chore he sits on stairs and crys or sneaks to see what im doing and tells me he doesnt want to. When we are in public and he starts to run all over store i tell him to listen to me andwe will get a suprise and he says ok but doesnt and tells me its because he wanted to so what he wanted to do. He also lies about everything he does like hitting sister or brother, stealing thier toys, breaking something or anything and i cant trust him because i find out he really did what they say he was doing. my other 2 childern dont act this way what can i do PLEASE I NEED HELP!!!!

Jennymom281

Asked by Jennymom281 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First, get him checked out by a pediatrition to rule out any physical problems that may be contributing to his behavior. If all checks okay i would: Take everything of his away except his bed & bedding, clothes, and essentials ( personal care). He is not to be allowed in siblings rooms or with their belongings. NO tv, video games, etc. UNTIL his behavior improves in EVERY way you ask of him, and the moment it slips, take thing away again. Write a chart of expectations you have of him so it is clear. Be specific. Unplug the tv if you have to. NO surprises or rewards or treats, not even for small good behaviors. NOTHING until he can follow every rule you set. He will fight even harder for a few days to couple weeks, but he'll give in and realize he either shapes up, or life is boring and no fun. If he continues with this behavior it will only get worse. the other two will see the attention he gets & will eventually act up also.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Call super nanny lol
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well first dont compare him to your other to kids second off he just sounds like a hyper 5 year old and some are just that way!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 9:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You just have to be incredibly consistent with boundaries and rules and stick to it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Every behavior has a consequence. It's tough, but just be consistent with not allowing this to happen. He'll get the idea.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2011