I BEEN TRYING TO POTTY TRAIN MY 3 YEAR OLD FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW, SHE JUST WON'T DO IT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sure try showing her the potty song you can do a search for it on youtube. That helped my dd out alot. Get a potty chair and let her sit on it like the kids do in the video. And just keep on and on her.

Answer by gemgem at 2:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I encouraged my daughter to use the toilet by asking if she had to go all the time and to let her know that I would stay with her and help her. She didn't want to use it for a while after turning 3 either. One day she just started using it. I really believe that they will start when HE/SHE is ready and encouraging is all you can do right now. I have heard bad things about too much pressuring so I would say encourage and she will start all on her own. I am sure she won't be 5 years old and not potty trained. :-)
    jen_0898

Answer by jen_0898 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• unconventional perhaps, but I started during the warm months and let them run around half naked so they noticed and it was obvious when they had an accident. I explained to them that they were big now and big girls/boys didn't use diappers. I also put the potty in a visible area so they knew where it was an could sit on them without asking me, and I could see when they went and clean and praised them. I've had all mine fully potty trained by 2 1/2, so it worked well.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 4:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My daughter just now potty trained at 3 and a half. We had struggled with it since 2. I finally just gave up. I didn't try anymore. I just let her do her thing. I didn't talk about potty training, I didn't ask her to go potty, I didn't let her in the bathroom when I was using the tiolet. Then she started knocking on the door and wanting to know what I was doing. And asking about the potty. Then I slowly reintroduced using the bathroom. Within about a week she was fully potty trained. Don't pressure her and she will let you know when she's ready. And remember that there are very few kindergardners (sp) still wearing diapers.
    BBPbyHolli

Answer by BBPbyHolli at 5:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• When I was potty training my daughter, I realized that she was honestly just being lazy. She knew how to go and she refused. Then I discovered if I kept bottomless(indoors only) she would go potty because she had a thing about peeing on the floor. She had a few accidents( the accidents happened when I was trying to put underwear on her), and then it seemed to click with her. You might even want to try some of the princepals in the potty signs program. It's aimed at younger kids, but it might help. http://pottytrainwithbabysigns.com/
    mamaxs4

Answer by mamaxs4 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Potty training needs to be messy business to be successful. So off with the diapers and pull-ups (except for at night). Had trouble with my son until I finally bit the bullet and purchased several packs of "training pants," basically extra thick undies. Also let him buy regular undies (of his choosing) to serve as incentive (don't get to wear them until you can stay clean and dry in "little boy" undies). Messy undies paired with a well designed reward system is a winner everytime. DD is 2.5 and done in a few days. No threats, no force, just natural logical consequences. Key points: reward dryness by checking often and praising wildly (add stickers or hand stamps if needed), reward pee (I did blowing bubbles) and poo (a balloon). Super praise by calling a GP or friend (or even telling the cashier at the store) to "brag" about your amazing big boy/girl is the cherry on top (done in front of the child of course).
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 6:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My ped. has always told me that they will go when they are ready and it is not good to try and force them in it. My mother-in-law has always said you never seen a kindergartner wearing diapers. They will go when they are ready. Most of my children weren't fully trained until they were almost four.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Well you can try by buying her underwear that she likes like princess ones and put them over her pamper and tell her that big girls wear underwear and encourage her I know it isn't easy but it worked for my nephew.
    analeaha4

Answer by analeaha4 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Children need to feel how uncomfortable it is when they wet their pants. I am working with my third child now. There is no pressure. I put him on the potty chair from time-to-time. I either let him run around the kitchen butt naked or I put training pants on him. He must learn that what he is doing is naturally and that their is a place for him to go when he gets that certain feeling. He hates have wet underpants on. He says, "Pee pee" after he has peed. This is natural. I keep working with him until he tells me that he has to go to the bathroom to pee before he pees. I would recommend that you get some training pants for your child. Children need to feel and see bathroom functions before they start telling you BEFORE they go.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 7:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• contd.
    One more thing, when they tell you that they have to go, they mean right now. If you wait, it will be too late and you will be cleaning up the mess. Good luck and don't get frustrated. It does take time and understanding on both yours and your child's part.
    dustbunny