I was out of town, had a TERRIBLE sore throat and swollen tonsils. Called my doc and was prescribed an antibiotic. Took ONE pill and now my sore throat is going away...should I continue to take it?

My doctor called me in the prescription yesterday. I took one of the pills this morning and it's almost time for the second dose but my throat already feels better and there's no way the antibiotic is already kicking in. Should I keep taking it?

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• YES. You have to take ALL the antibiotic or you will not get better. Just because your throat feels better doesn't mean the infection is gone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, take it until they are all gone as long as you are not having problems with them...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You should always take the full course of any antibiotic. Not taking it all is why we have antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• rule of thumb for antibiotics is take until gone, call the MD and get his opinion though.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes,anytime you are on an antibiotic you should take the entire prescription.If you stop before you may develope a resistance to that drug ot you may relapse.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• yes, it might come back otherwise.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• First, you should never let your doctor give you antibiotics without testing... we do not treat that severe enough. Since you started, you MUST finish the rest. What you've done is introduced the antibiotic into your system- it'll kill some of the bacteria in your body (both good and bad) and the rest will absorb it and become immune to it. You need to finish killing off everything- or next time the antibiotic won't work! And- if you spread the bacteria, it'll be immune when the next person tries to fight it off.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Okay, goodness. I didn't know! That's why I asked but thanks ladies! I will keep taking it(:
    davila26

Comment by davila26 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• YES!!! because if you quit and then get sick with the same thing a little of the bacteria can be lingering around and mutate to something worse which turns into immunity to that antibiotic
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2011