Reaally ladies?

Ok, so I was looking through some posts and I saw some ladies congratulating each other about losing weight during their first 30 weeks of pregnancy. Now, I thought the goal was to gain weight and have healthy babies, NOT try to stay skinny so we could look good during pregnancy and after the baby was born?

These weren't overweight ladies either ...

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, that's a little strange. I lost weight in the beginning of my second pregnancy, but that was due to nausea and vomitting due to morning sickness, not from actually trying to lose weight. The goal is to gain 30 lbs, not lose.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• A lot of women don't understand that it isn't a good idea to lose weight while pregnant. It's one thing if you start eating really healthy, but it's one thing to starve yourself. Pregnancy is neither convenient nor is it glamorous, you WILL gain weight, you WILL have a tummy, you will looks puffy and swollen and you won't look the same after baby arrives. You just won't. Period. Bodies change with pregnancy and that is nothing to be ashamed of nor should it be discouraged.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 9:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My niece lost 20 pounds during her pregnancy. She is the one in a million. I would not encourage that during pregnancy . But she is the exception to the rule. I on the other hand would inhale air and gain 5 pounds.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yea that's not good and weird...And it should be about gaining weight so your baby can grow and be healthy when their born.
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I can see where that would upset some but you don't HAVE to gain weight to have a healthy baby.  I didn't TRY to gain weight/or lose it.  With my 3rd I ended up losing weight instead of gaining.  Maybe the number of kids and stretching and all that helped me out in that department though.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i lost alot of weight the first weeks i ended up weighing less then i did before i got pregnant after the baby was born without trying
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 1:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i've stayed the same weight and i'm 15 weeks now, but i've grown if that makes since at all. my breasts went from a c to a dd and i went from a sz 6 to a med in maternity clothes all at the same weight. crazy
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 2:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My SIL was very overwieght when she got pregnant, and she lost weight and was a lot healthier... until after Baby was born and she went back to all her nasty eating habits and has now raised an obese child. So much for the good intentions in pregnancy. But I've always been slim, but had gestational diabetes so I gained HEAPS of weight with each of my six babies. Lost it every time though, thankfully.
    You are right, though, pregnant ladies should be putting the welfare of their baby ahead of their desire to look glamorous as soon as possible after Baby is born.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Everyones different, but it does sound kind of wrong to encourage weight loss during pregnancy if they are at a normal weight.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 8:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have not really every heard of anyone TRYING to lose weight through their pregnancy..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011