can anyone tell me if it is legal to no-school your child in the state of north carolina

see I want to home school her without the red tape of testing or the attendance requirements

mampm

Asked by mampm at 2:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• You legally have to h ave your child in some sort of program in NC in order to not get arrested. All you do is call the Raleigh Ed dept and ask them for the paperwork to get your homeschool accreditation. As long as you have a HS diploma or GED you can homeschool your child. It takes about 30 days to get your license or whatever they call it. And they waive the first 30 days so you can immediately start homeschooling. Good luck. im in NC and homeschool.

Answer by gemgem at 3:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Your kidding right? That's just an excuse for you to keep your child ignorant and isolated. All children need a chance to meet kids their own age who isn't family and to learn how to cope with being away from mom. Attendance requirements? what will he/she be able to skip class? will the teacher not realize the student is missing? If the child isn't tested every once in a while how will you know if he/she understands what you are saying? If you are going to homeschool go right ahead, I couldn't do it. But do it the right way and follow the rules.

Anonymous

• Most school districts require testing though. In FL we have to allow the kids to be tested by a certified teacher once a yr. Make sure you ask the school district near you for all the requirements for homeschooling.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Hey Anon - looks like your public education taught you how to keep a closed mind and follow the pack - way to go!
    Anonymous

• Although she was harsh, I agree with Anon. They have those requirements for a reason. Otherwise, people who just don't feel like dealing with school will keep their kids home and "no school". Bad idea, IMO. Kids need an education to function in this day and age, and they are only going to need more when your kids grow up. I think that NO SCHOOL shouldn't be an option no matter where you live.
    Anonymous

• no school? so basically you mean, no standards of education for your kid? no testing to see if she is learning anything that is grade level or above..hmmm...i fail to see how this is going to benefit your child in life. good luck with all that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Answered at 2:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 by: Anonymous

I think you have the wrong idea about homeschooling or what I am guess the OP has in mind which is un-schooling. My homeschooled son is the most social, well adjusted kid you can find.
    tagable

Answer by tagable at 4:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Way to go, tagable!!! We homeschool too! As for laws in different states - look up the Home School Legal Defense Association at www.hslda.org They can put you on the right track for what the requirements are where you live. Also - may I recommend moving to Texas? :) They have the best homeschooling laws anywhere! :)
    RanchWifeandMom

Answer by RanchWifeandMom at 1:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2008