Switching Formula

My daughter is almost 5 months old and she has been on Nutramagen by Enfamil. It is VERY expensive so I called her Dr to see if I could try switching her to something else. The formula she was on was Hypoalergenic, they told me I could but to try Gentlease cause its easier on the stomach. I started her on it yesterday afternoon...she did good last night actually slept a lot longer then normal but today she is very fussy and gassy. She hasn't pooped since Thursday so I don't know if thats it or if its the formula. The Dr told me to look for fussiness and GI problems with her and us switching but should I keep trying the new formula for the rest of the day and see how she does and then if shes fussy tomm go back to the old stuff. I just don't know if its her body trying to get used to the new stuff. So if anyone has had to deal with this issue I would appreicate your input!

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is the problem, an abrupt swtich from one formula to the next is hard on their little system. When we were ready to take my son off nutramigen this is what we did. I would mix 4 cups of formula at a time and fill my bottles for 24 hours. We introduced the next formula, which was soy because I too am allergic to milk. So I put 1 scoop soy in and 15 scoops nutramigen in the 4 cups of water. Then the next day 2 scoops soy and 14 nutramigen, and so on until my son was completely on soy. Now we are introducing milk based formula with the soy using the same method. I can't believe the pediatricians don't suggest this. My mum and grandma told me to do this, have had to do it with soooo many of my relatives for generations. If you do this the irritation will not be as hard on your babies system!!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My son didn't do well on the Gentlese. He did great on the similac senstive though. No problems. Now he's on the similac go and grow and don't good on that as well. Something you might try.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• why was she on nutramagen in the first place? i've heard that particular kind is suggested for babies who have digestive issues to begin with so if switching is causing these problems i would switch back asap.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• She was on nutramagen because my husband is lactosintolerant and didn't know if my child could be she was on soy but did HORRIBLE on that so we tried the nutramagen plus she was colicky.
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There are many sensitive brands out there. If he won't take to that one without problems try another. Parent's Choice is a good brand and it's pretty cheap. Also remember there are other things that may be making him fussy. Another thing you can try is giving him 4 ounces a day or every other day of gerber prum or apple juice, ( you can water it down a little too if you feel more comfortable) that will help a lot with constipation.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We had her on Good Start for the first 4 months, and ended up switching to Parents Choice Gentle... its less than half the price, and its working a lot better for her. Ask your doc about that one, its very gentle for gassy babies.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2008