Eating vegi's

so i am a step mom to a 9 year old boy, i have been in his life for two almost three years now. his dad and i have full custody over him, so he lives with us full time... well here is my problem, since i moved in i have changed things up a bit by making him eat something healthy every day...we gave him the option of what he wanted, one fruit, and one vegi, and we would go on a everyother day thing, one day fruit, one day vegi... sounds fair right? well at first it was going okay... and then he said he wanted a smoothie everyday instead, which is fine with me cause that way he gets more then one fruit and i can throw in a few carrots with out him knowing. he was doing really well until about a month ago.. that's when everything came to a stop... no eating smoothie, no eating anything healthy... NOTHING!!! It take him a hour to drink 2 cup sizes of a smoothie... its gotten to the point were we are grounding him over it... HELP me please. dont know what to do about it... Also must know before i moved in, he was very over weight and eating junk everyday... his dad works nights so he was with his over weight grandparents, who think fat = happy...

jennna

Asked by jennna at 9:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would start by eliminating junk foods for a while. Make sure that he is not getting calories from juice or milk, and give him water to drink with meals.
    One fruit and one vegetable a day is not nearly enough.
    Build meals around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• figure out if something at school happened to turn him off from it. Or if his friends are being rude about him eating healthy...you know the "my mom lets me eat anything i want" you shouldnt ground him though...try a vitamin supplement til you figure out the issue behind it all
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 10:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• he eats a vitamin every morning, the Flinstone ones... he likes it... and i dont think he talks about what he eats at dinner with his school friends.. i only make him eat something healthy at dinner.. but i dont know
    jennna

Comment by jennna (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Get rid of all the junk, he can't eat it if you don't have it. Also I would try and have dad eat at least one meal a day with him boys tend to want to be just like daddy. It could be something simple just a bowl of Cheerio's, juice and fruit before he heads off to school. I do think it will help if he sees both of you also eating healthy food and that you are united in this. It won't help if your trying to make him eat carrots while dad is skipping out. I'm not saying you guys don't eat healthy I don't know, just kids tend to have the same eating habbits as the parent they want to be like.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It sounds like both sides are upset and frustrated...will he talk to you about why? Is he able to give a reason? Is his stomach ok?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Limiting the availability of junk food is a great start. Increasing the healthy options will help too. Go for stuff that has "hidden" veggies, and do not mention that there is anything healthy in the dish -- this seems to be a trigger for an argument right now.

Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) wrote a cook book for moms in similar situations. Maybe some veggies hidden in ravioli or lasagna or muffins will be enjoyed without question. Even a lean beef stew with veggies blended into the gravy might work. GL :-)

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Juice Plus+® is a whole food based nutritional product that provides nutrition from 17 different fruits, vegetables, and grains — like apples, broccoli, kale, parsley, and beets — in a convenient and inexpensive capsule form. Taken daily, Juice Plus+® helps you bridge the gap between what you and your family should eat and what you do eat, every day.

It's clinically proven!
    Unlike the overwhelming majority of nutritional products on the market today, Juice Plus+® is backed by original clinical research. Studies conducted by prestigious research institutions and published in peer-reviewed scientific journals have found that Juice Plus+®:

•Delivers key phytonutrients that are absorbed by the body
    •Reduces oxidative stress caused by free radicals
    •Helps support a healthy immune system
    •Helps protect the structural integrity of DNA
    •Promotes cardiovascular wellness
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 9:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011