Why does my 2 yr. old rock when he's upset?

I heard rocking was a normal way a child soothes himself but every time he does it I think one word: autistic. Now, he shows absolutely no other signs of autism and I know I'm over reacting... but I just thought I'd check and make sure it's normal. So please, reassure me or share any knowledge that might be helpful?

Colesmama11

Asked by Colesmama11 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Heck, I myself tend to rock when I'm really upset. I think it is a very normal way to self-soothe. If that is the only reason you are worried about autism, try to relax.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If that's the only symptom that he has of autism then I wouldn't worry. All of my children have rocked at one time or another, and I was told by my paediatrician that it was a completely normal technique and that it was just a way of calming themselves down. So I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 3:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• he is comforting himself - sit a rock with him holding him so he feels comfort - i did this with my son - they need to know it is ok to release emotions
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 3:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My son is autistic and unless your child is having other signs like speech delay, lack of eye contact and other signs then Id say hes just soothing himself.

Answer by gemgem at 3:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think I was told a long time ago that rocking is a natural soothing motion because when a baby is in the womb, the amniotic fluid causes a rocking motion every time the mother walks, or moves. So it's kind of like reverting back to that warm, safe, security when we rock to comfort ourselves.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Thank you all for the reassurance. I greatly appreciate it.
    Colesmama11

Answer by Colesmama11 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2008