ADHD or ADD

Do you believe these are real disorders or how do you feel about them......

If your child has been put on meds for them do you actualy give it to them?

myboysRmyhero

Asked by myboysRmyhero at 10:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Are you kidding me?? Please tell me you don't actually have any kids.
    It doesn't matter if you believe if they are "real"... they ARE real! Do some research!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I KNOW they are real disorders. I am an adult with ADD. I have had it all my life.

As for children, I have seen children who really do have this type of disorder. There are some that truely do need medications as without it they are literally climbing up the walls and hanging off light fixtures.

Do they over diagnose it? Yes, I think they do. I think there are some parents who are just not effective with discipline and want their child diagnosed with the disorder so that the blame is not one them, but the disorder.

BUT, there truly are children who are ADD/ADHD and there truly are children who benefit from medications.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• no im not kidding my husband and one of his brother were said to be ADD but were never medicaed and are fine now as adults and my nephew was said to have ADHD but when he ran away from home and went off his meds was way more under control then when he was on them that why i ask......
    myboysRmyhero

Comment by myboysRmyhero (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• if that's your only basis for this judgement you really do need to do some research!!! I work in a High School and at a residential summer camp... yes it's real. I have dealt with the un-medicated nightmares and I can surly attest to how much the medications can help the child!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well i asked the question due to a family memebr saying she thought our 2.5 year old may have ADHD...........and I believe yes hes very hyper but he 2 i thought they were all hyper at this age.
    myboysRmyhero

Comment by myboysRmyhero (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ADD/ADHD is VERY real. My twin boys, now 18 yrs old, have Acute Genetic ADHD. We have dealt with it all their lives. And, when their meds need tweaked, believe me, they can tell you! I can tell too. But, when THEY can see the lack of focus & inability to make reasonable decisions, then, YEAH, it's REAL. There are a great number of kids & adults who are misdiagnosed. In these cases, the meds don't necessarily help them. Too many ppl, including some doctors, blame symptoms on ADD/ADHD. When, in actuality, there may be an entire different cause. When the meds aren't working, they are either not on the right meds or are being treated for ADD/ADHD & not truly have it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• They ARE real disorders WHEN diagnosed properly and medication DOES work WHEN used on a PROPERLY diagnosed person.

Do too many school counselors stop testing when they get to the ADD/ADHD diagnosis and then recommend medication, yes. This is why I highly recommend testing independently with a child psychiatrist who has no academic interest in labeling your child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• And, yes, 2 yr olds are rather hyper. They are all about discovery and disorder. It is way too young to determine whether or not he's got ADD/ADHD. However, if your huband & his brother supposedly have it, then it is entirely possible for your son to have it as well. My guys, sadly, came by it genetically from their father's side of the family. So, it would be a good idea to mention it to your doctor & keep an eye on your son through the next 2-3 years. If he is truly afflicted, the signs will begin to really show by the age of 5-6 yrs old.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• First, the school counselors can NOT diagnosis ADHD or any other disorder in a child. Second, ADHD is a very real disorder and when properly medicated can be controlled. I have it as does my son and without the meds, my son was miserable. He couldn't concentrate enough to get through an hour of school let alone 7. the meds helped him focus, helped him increase his grades from failing to A's and B's. And best of all his self esteem increased.

A 2.5 yr old is way too young to be diagnosed anyway. You should do some reserach and share that with your husband and family members. BTW, people can and do outgrow ADHD and some just learn how to control the symptoms so you don't know they have it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• First, the school counselors can NOT diagnosis ADHD or any other disorder in a child
    ______________

She may have meant school psychologist which CAN diagnose.

Also--2.5 is WAY to young to think anyone is ADD/ADHD. The behaviors she is seeing is probably that of just being a two year old

AND, I wasn't not diagnosed with ADD until I was an adult, but I realize that this was my issue all my life. I've just learned coping skills to deal with it. I've never been medicated and I am still not medicated for it. I continue to use my learned skills. Am I alway successful? No, but then I just pick up the pieces and go on.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2011